Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

#12...

Just asking, Where is the AZ. Desert bighorn Sheep Society? Are They involved at all in protecting anything. Or Can't they. I know they are some good Guys. This is sickening......BOB!

That is the 4th of 5 rams to die. Not sure they are going to be able to reproduce if there are no more Rams. Maybe Game and Fish will artificially inseminate the ewes from now on?

According to the USFS website, the entire Sheep Reintroduction area is closed to entry... so even if you want to help kill lions, that opportunity has been taken away from you as a hunter.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coronado/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5446651

I actually got some more info about this from AGFD and it turns out that if you have a valid lion hunting permit and are actively hunting, you can go in there and hunt for lions. You can't use dogs, but you could go in there and call for lions or spot and stalk.

There is a clause at the end of that page that Lance linked to that allows for exemptions.

"Persons exempt from this order include any federal, state, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty or persons with a permit to authorize the prohibited activity."

I bolded the part that allows a hunter with legal permits to go in there and hunt. Again, you can't use dogs in Pusch Ridge Restrictive Hunt Area, but you can go kill lions in there to help the sheep out.

• Like 2

fyi, the boundary of the Pusch Ridge Restricted Hunt Area is found in the fall hunt regs on page 63, note 31. So this is the area where you can't use dogs, but you can use dogs to hunt lions outside this area. And as we all know, lions roam widely so you might just get lucky and get a lion outside that area that still is one which hunts those sheep.

cut and paste of the boundary where you can't use dogs (but you can hunt lions without dogs):
The Pusch Ridge Hunt Area in Unit 33 is closed to
hunting with the aid of dogs. Pusch Ridge Hunt
Area in Unit 33 - That portion of Unit 33 beginning
at the junction of Forest Trail 98 (Ventana Trail)
within Ventana Canyon and the Pusch Ridge Wilderness
boundary; westerly then northerly along
the Pusch Ridge Wilderness boundary to Forest
Trail 6 (Sutherland Trail) at Cargodera Canyon;
easterly along Forest Trail 6 (Sutherland Trail)
following the Pusch Ridge Wilderness Boundary
to Forest Trail 5 (Mt Lemon Trail); southwesterly
along Forest Trail 5 (Mt Lemon Trail) to Forest
Trail 24 (West Fork Sabino Trail); southeasterly
along Forest Trail 24 (West Fork Sabino Trail) to
Forest Trail 26 (Cathedral Rock Trail); southwesterly
along Forest Trail 26 (Cathedral Rock Trail)
to Forest Trail 25 (Esperero Trail); west along
Forest Trail 25 (Esperero Trail) to Forest Trail 98
(Ventana Trail) at Ventana Canyon; southeasterly
along Forest Trail 98 (Ventana Trail) to the
Pusch Ridge Wilderness Boundary.

To add to Amanda's Pusch Ridge Restricted Hunt Area boundaries description ...

• Like 1

Great info Amanda!! All who are interested, ought to try to right, game and fish's wrong, with a little help in predator depredation within the boundries.

• Like 1

Sounds like an opportunity to organize a predator calling competition 50% goes to winner 50% to the sheep foundation. Wish I was a caller.

• Like 1

Wow, this is a good decision by the department. I know several Javalina hunters who were told They couldn't hunt in the sheep area. Us hunters can make a difference!

• Like 1

I recently backpacked through the area. If anyone would like info as to trails etc. feel free to pm me.

I will also tell you where I found cat sign.

FYI, I'm pretty sure the pic included at the start of this thread originated on the shore of one of the lakes NE of Phoenix, and is an archived photo from the past, NOT of the 13th lion-killed sheep ...