Sign in to follow this  
muley224

Any thoughts on glassing etiquette ?

Was just wondering on members thoughts on glassing etiquette. Hunting the Kaibab for so many years, I have had several instances of getting out early to my glassing spot only to have hunters come by me after sun-up and park right next to me and set up their optics. I personally would never infringe on someone elses space. Right or wrong ?

post-10954-153204_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't mind if some ones was to glass next to me. Assuming a few things. They make contact with me. Don't interfer and understand that he who finds the target first had first choice. I'm not taking 200y down a ridge I'm mean right next to me.

I have friend to this day I met in this manner.

I would not do that, especially without going over the other person and talking for a bit. I've had similar situations happen to me in the field and can only surmise that the other person hunts that area year after year and feels they have some ownership to it.

A couple of years ago my son and I setup off a road to watch a tank that was a couple of hundred yards across a field a few hours before sunset. A truck drove past us and parked just around the bend. We were about 10 feet off the road in the shade so they could not have seen us as they drove by. They walked past us about 5 minutes later and upon seeing us they walked back in the direction of their truck. We sat there until just before sunset and put on our packs for the mile hike back to camp.

I was amazed when we walked past them sitting less than 50 feet away. The guy was definitely not a novice as he and his wife had the latest Swarvo optic's and he had a carbon fiber barrel on his rig.

Right or wrong it is public land and not all outdoorsman share the same thoughts when it comes to hunting etiquette....I am NOT !!! a fan of it but as someone who spends about 200 days a yr in the field I can tell you that you dont always know that you have set up on top of another hunter/glasser it is very easy to do in the dark. I will play the other side to...at what point is close to close...is it the whole canyon ?...the whole ridge / mountain ?..I know of several very good hunters and guides that think that once they set foot in an area that they should have it all to themselves...I was once told by another very well known guide to stay the #### off his mountain.... as he hunts that area every yr.....Sometimes the only thing you can do is be the first to find the game and beat them to it....Not much fun but sometimes its all you can do....Also just because they set up near you does not always mean they are looking for the same animal you are..or that they could see the ocean from the beach...I have had a great number of hunters/glassers set up on me and after a short time get up and leave as they are mumbling about there being nothing to see....All the while there are bucks / bulls all over the place.....Not sure there is one right answer to your question...Dave

I don't ever see other hunters, is glassing close to a road pretty common? Curious maybe it's just where I hunt or the fact that I walk far.

• Like 1

Not sure where you hunt but I have had other hunters / hikers / and just random people show up several miles from the closest road / trail head. More power to you if you can hunt anywhere in AZ and not run into someone....

Glassing from vantage points on roads is very common on Elk and Deer hunts in Az, especially in the Kaibab and other units with long visabilities. Glassing at long distances can give you an opportunity to set up a stalk without just hiking in and boogering game along the way. Alot of trophy hunts are in areas where roads are everywhere. It mostly upsets me when youre glassing and someone stops and gets out with their optics and slams doors, has stereos blasting, and generally makes alot of racket. We all know how sound travels in the field.

The bottom line is this, if you walk, drive or what ever into someone set-up, get out. I am sorry it is common courtesy that any Arizona hunter should do. I am a native Arizonan and I have always practiced that policy for many reasons, early bird got the worm, respect and just common sense. Bottom line use some common sense. It seems in the New Normal nobody give a F--- about courtesy and respect. Guess we can thank our elected political heroes for that.

• Like 3

Not sure where you hunt but I have had other hunters / hikers / and just random people show up several miles from the closest road / trail head. More power to you if you can hunt anywhere in AZ and not run into someone....

Maybe I'm just lucky. Only person I have seen was border patrol once who hiked out because they apparently caught us on the Infrared and came to investigate. I hunt very close to the border maybe that's why

I've sat on the same rock with many folks that I wasn't hunting with... no one can see it all and if they can out glass me and get to the critter first it is a free country (still)... Just cuz you are the first person on the rock overlooking 1,000 (or 10,000) acres doesn't mean you are gunna shoot every animal there... Whether they choose to approach me or not only dictates if we are gunna work together or parallel; and has nothing to do with the outcome of my hunt or theirs if we conduct ourselves with class.

I was with a hunter in the late bull hunt... the tag holder was limited on his ability due to a recent surgery that nearly prevented him from hunting at all. I glassed a bull up under a bluff that I would have thought would have hunters on it, but didn't see any so told the fellow, "Lets try... if no one shoots him before we get there then we can make our play." Thirty minutes later we are rolling down that 2 track out to the point... I stop way back not wanting to warn the bull. we wall half way out to the edge and I spy a truck... "Crap, bet we got beat." was my comment. I told him lets just ease out there any how right above where the bull was an take a look. We sneak out there expecting at any moment to come up on the other hunter but don't... we get out to a rock and start glassing, picking up the bull in seconds bedded in the wide open as 380 yds (straight down)... we set up kill the bull and never saw another person till we started off the only trail down and there stood a guy glassing. Turned out he knew the guy I was with... Was supper cool! Offered to help us pack but we declined as he was running out of hunting days. He even threw in a joking "Can't believe you shot that bull out from under me! HaHaHa..." In the end the bull showed in a spot he had glassed the previous day with out seeing a thing and he said, "That is why it is hunting."

I once had a WM walk right up on a rock pile with me and 2 clients, his wife also had the tag and he flat told me he didn't care if I minded... my clients were rattled but it didn't change the out come of our morning hunt... They both still killed bulls, just not that day...LOL.

In the end.... I will respect anyone in the woods that shows me the same. But if you are gunna hunt where I wanna hunt then you better out glass, out run, and out hunt me... and I will respect you for it... IF you can get it done with out being a Douchbag (LOL). Sit right next to me if you want, it is all a game... honor the game, hunt harder and cleaner. Cuz that is Cool! I respect Clean Results!! I have been the first to walk up to a guy after getting beat and give him a nod, a wink, and a "Nice job, Man!" But I have also been the first to get threated or MF'd for out hunting others... I don't lose sleep over it.... we are hunting public animals on public ground, so we are bound to rub shoulders... don't panic, don't get mad... stick to your plan and hunt harder!

Good Hunting!

• Like 10

Thanks for all the different feedback. Guess it boils down to courtesy. I always say Please and Thank-you and hold doors open, but not everyone does.

• Like 3

I agree with TIm on this. I have met one of the nicest guys on the planet this way. AND no I wasn't next to the road, I was in about 1 1/2 miles of the edge of rock face of a canyon. I was startled at first. I introduced myself and said I will go down about hundred yards if you don't mind and he told me no set up here. We talked and come to find out he is a guide and the nicest guy I have ever met in my life. Went out of his way to help me and even come up for the day to show me spots for my sons first elk hunt in a unit I have never hunted. I am blessed to have met him and call him a friend. I guess my point is its all who you meet out there and if they are about themselves or the love of hunting. Best of Luck.

• Like 3

I'm usually glassing before the season opens and enjoy the company of other hunters. Since I'm not a guide who is worried about others finding what I see I find it more satisfying trying to help another hunter with his or her hunt. I get more out of helping others than I do my own hunts anymore. If you see my cwt sticker and a tjhunt2 license plate feel free to stop and have a cup of coffee in the yearly morning hours of glassing.

TJ

• Like 8

Public land is a free for all so legally speaking they can do that. I tend to find some place else because it seems to be courtesy and common sense. But common sense ain't all too common today. I rarely glass from the road and would be less offended if someone pulled up next to me and started glassing as I would be if I hiked up a mountain and someone sat down next to me.