Sign in to follow this  
muley224

Any thoughts on glassing etiquette ?

I've learned the hard way. If you share your success on the web, your honey holes will be compromised. People have become very resourceful. From a picture and a few words from your story, they piece together exactly where and when it happened. I have no problem with that, it's just the way people use the internet to expand and learn.

That said, for me hunting is a very solo thing. I don't get mad at the people hunting around me, I try to find ways to get more isolated when it starts feeling crowded.

I can't imagine walking up to a hill where someone is already glassing and set up next to them, any more than I can imagine walking through an area I know someone else is glassing, yet I've had both happen to me on more than one occasion.

My take is this, if my biggest concern is the guy who got there 10-15 minutes earlier, then I'm not hunting the way I want to be.

We've all done the get up early, head to your spot only to find yourself looking at the tail lights of someone who had the exact same idea you had, but got there first.

That's a pretty good indication that your thought process leading you to that spot is, for lack of a better term, lazy. And I'm not throwing this out there like it's everyone else doing it but not me. I've been a lazy hunter too. I've missed hunting a spot by a couple minutes because somebody else got there first.

That's a telling sign. If you love to hunt, and you truly want to separate yourself and get totally into the spirit of the hunt, you really can't do it if you're standing in line behind 3 guys trying to do the same thing, like your wife sent you to supercuts, and you're looking around at dipsh!ts exactly like you doing exactly the same thing for the same reason.

Hunting is an amazing tool for self-discovery, but only if you recognize it for what it is, and not for what it is portrayed through the tv shows and commercials. It is a vehicle to find or recognize the real "you". It's not about all the buying of stuff that makes you a better hunter, it's about you finally realizing that you aren't at war with the world around you, but placing yourself right in the middle of that world as a giver and taker of life.

• Like 4

Hunting is an amazing tool for self-discovery, but only if you recognize it for what it is, and not for what it is portrayed through the tv shows and commercials. It is a vehicle to find or recognize the real "you". It's not about all the buying of stuff that makes you a better hunter, it's about you finally realizing that you aren't at war with the world around you, but placing yourself right in the middle of that world as a giver and taker of life.

Well said Coach, well said...

My thought is if someone is ahead of you in a spot, then that is theirs for that day. I have had many occasions that I was going to hunt a certain area and when I got there someone else was already there. I backed out every time and went somewhere else. The way I look at it, I should have been there earlier...I think etiquette is something that is being lost in outdoorsman. I hate it when people don't respect your being in a spot first. A few years ago while archery elk hunting, I parked my truck well before light on a little tiny two track and it was the only road up into this country. About 45 minutes after light I had several bulls going good and one that was coming to me on a string. As I was sitting there bringing him in, I heard a loud noise coming closer and closer. Pretty soon the bull hauls butt and a truck comes bouncing up the road right too me. I walked to the road with my hands in the air asking them WTF and they drove right past me about 200 yards or so and stopped, got out and started getting all of their gear out to go hunt. I was in disbelief. I walked up to them and asked them if they were seriously going to do this to another hunter. They had literally drove off road around my truck and plowed straight into the hunting area. It was honestly the most rude and ridiculous lack of etiquette I had ever witnessed. Weird thing was they had absolutely no remorse or thought that what they were doing was wrong. I know the whole public land speeche but as sportsman we need to show each other respect and when someone beats you to a spot, tip your hat to them, wish them well and go find yourself another honey hole for the day.

Please don't block roads, especially on public land and by doing so you could have prevented or impeded a vehicle responding to a search and rescue or a forest fire. Another hunter could also been coming into the area to recover an animal.

• Like 1

You guys are a trip. I never said I blocked a road, I was parked at the end of the road and they drove around and cut through to this old abandoned logging road. Seriously, there are some real winners on this site anymore and I dont know why I waste my time trying to have decent conversation.

You guys are a trip. I never said I blocked a road, I was parked at the end of the road and they drove around and cut through to this old abandoned logging road. Seriously, there are some real winners on this site anymore and I don't know why I waste my time trying to have decent conversation.

"I parked my truck well before light on a little tiny two track and it was the only road up into this country."

Not trying to start a fight here mc just going by what you posted originally about parking ON the Only road that was going into the area you hunted. You said nothing about parking at the END of the road or that they went cross country and got onto another road.

I've parked to block a road before but it ended in less than a quarter mile and you could see the end from where I parked. Am I in the wrong for that?

I also did not state that I " blocked" a road...but, that is what was people on here want to say I meant. The funny thing is, I was stating about how I feel there should be a lot more etiquette practiced in the outdoors, so why would people want to immediately jump to the conclusion that I was being a dumb a*!. I honestly did not realize that I would have to give an entire description of the situation. That is what is sad about what CWT discussion boards have become. More of a place now to try and draw blood between members...too bad. Really seems weird that i am the one questioned and no remarks saying what a bunch of BS it is for someone to intentionally screw up someones hunt.I appreciate that you were at least civil in questioning my post and not suggestive unlike some other members. Just hope people will try and be good decent people in the outdoors.

I've parked to block a road before but it ended in less than a quarter mile and you could see the end from where I parked. Am I in the wrong for that?

Yes, it's never cool to block a road.

Flatlander, you talk like one heck of a tough guy on here, but don't even think of trying to bully me around. You do intentional damage to anyones property, especially mine and you will get what you have coming. You are what gives good sportsman a bad name.

/>Flatlander, you talk like one heck of a tough guy on here, but don't even think of trying to bully me around. You do intentional damage to anyones property, especially mine and you will get what you have coming. You are what gives good sportsman a bad name.

You know, as long as I don't come across your rig parked in the middle of a public road there really isn't a whole lot to worry about. So I think we can both sleep easy tonight.

Lol hunters flattening other hunters tires? Blocking roads? This is why I stay in the low, flat deserts. This is why I'm willing to go years between bucks.

I've had jackasses that knew I was there set up on the same small canyon as me 100 yds away. I got up, threw my pack on and walked right thru the area they were glassing and I had already glassed. No need for altercation or slashing tires, just say what needs to said without saying anything at all. I don't ever want to hunt where some of you hunt. Now way.

• Like 1

My rig never has nor ever will blocked a road to keep others out,and I really don't want to hear that statement again. I really don't appreciate people trying to make something out of nothing. People just need to show more respect to each others in the outdoors and everywhere else in their lives. Good place to start showing etiquette is right here on CWT.

• Like 1