Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Tripod heads

I need some advise on tripod head, i have a slik pro tripod with their head but i don't like it, the tripod is good very light and good height but i was thinking of getting a new head, i was looking at the jim white head or the outdoorman's pistol grip with the panning atachment, which of these 2 you prefered ?i've been reading some reviews and some said that the jim white is very good lateral but not great up and down.

thank you for the input and opinions.

I really like the Jim white head and last i checked Amanda had them in stock. That being said my next will be the outdoorsman standard tripod head.

My vote would be for the Jim White head. It works very well and is lightweight. This is just my opinion, but I think the "roughness" that people describe about the tilt movement is more a misunderstanding of how the head is supposed to function. Keep in mind that the Jim White head is different from a fluid head. If you glass on a grid pattern, that is, if you pan from one side to the other, tilt your binos up/ down, and then pan back across the other way, tilt your binos up/ down again and then pan back across, etc., then it will work great. The pan function is silky smooth, and when the tension adjustment is adjusted correctly, I can move my binos from side to side with just a bump of my nose. Availability may be an issue as Jim has recently passed, but I would still consider it an option. Hope that helps.

if u r on the west side u can try out my jim white yo see if u like it. i use kaibabs on it and love it

if u r on the west side u can try out my jim white yo see if u like it. i use kaibabs on it and love it

i'm in scottsdale, i have the kaibas also, but you said it works very well?

Jim White head is head and shoulders above the rest, I have 2, one for my 15x56 Swarovski's and the other is on another tripod for my spotting scope.

If you are looking for a good tripod head but don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks then I have a brand new in box pistol grip head for sale right now for $80 cash. It's the best bang for the buck. Check it out:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/47160-pistol-ball-grip-tripod-head-vanguard-gh-100/

sometimes outdoorsmans has some used one for sale which are in great shape also.

I have the manfrotto mvh501hv and it is by far the most fluid and sturdy head ive ever used. Might be a touch on the bigger size but worth the steadiness and smoothness!

• Like 1

I prefer a pan head over a pistol. I use the outdoorsmans pan head and love it.

I owned the Jim white head until I got the outdooramans head...outdoorsman head is significantly better...I also hate any type of pistol grip.