Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Is it bad when you find out you're injured and

best wishes and that is too funny though, i am the same way, before i am heading on a big trip for anything i go all howard hughes and spray germ killer and over wash my hands and stand 8 feet from all people so i dont get sick before the trip. same deal when i get hurt i first think of how it will effect riding and hunting.

My 5-year-old daughter was just asking me yesterday (I kid you not) about bow fishing because Imelda from the Disney movie Brave can kill a fish with a bow. I love that movie and how it encourages little girls that bows are cool!

2 years ago March I broke my left wrist that required plates/screws. I'm a good patient and do most everything my doc tells me to and I was fine by my archery bull hunt that year. It's just a major pain to not be 100%. I have no doubt I'll be okay come August even if I have to drop my poundage down if needed, but I don't think I'll be shouldering a shot gun by May.

MULEPACKHUNTER - I'm still riding. That's one piece of doctor's advice I didn't follow last time. I just can't wash the horse the way I'd like. I haven't figured out how to throw my saddle up yet, but I've got an idea of a way if the old man isn't around :)

wash your horse, whats that, i call that a rain storm. lol every time i get my mules washed they go roll for 20 minutes in every pile of crap they can find. same with my healers.

i went to one of those synthetic saddles a while back and can load one handed now, very nice.

Good Luck and heal fast. Like everyone else said "Listen to the Doctor"! This is one of those that you can't rush or you'll be sorry. Sounds like you have the right idea about Turkey season. Enjoy the time with little girl.

A rotator cuff is a tough deal, especially with bows. Heal up and do what the Doc, and others have said.

The last time I hurt myself was 1996, racing Motocross up in Eloy. It cost me a trip to the Casa Grande Hospital in an ambulance. Cracked tailbone, less than 3 weeks before my deer hunt. That was one of the first things I thought of when I crashed.......My hunt. Had to bring my rubber donut with me to sit on, in order to sit down and glass. I did shoot a buck, and packed him out of a rugged spot, but man it hurt like heck, and took alot of the fun out of it.

Best wishes for your injury. Heal up, and go huntin.

/>the very first thing out of your mouth is "thank goodness I don't have any big hunts coming up." Funny how I can deal with everything else like it's no big deal, but if I had to miss a hunt I'd be one bummed girl.

Here's to hoping my rotator cuff will be fine for turkey season, but it's no big deal if it's not because this turkey tag is devoted to spending the time with my 5 year old in the woods.

The drop tine buck from last year is my August goal so rehab/surgery, etc., here I come!

Imho health and wellness much more important THE HUNT! :) a partial tear can turn into a real mess when you put desire to hunt before healing! trust me i have made my health issues much worse when i allowed opening day to determine when body is healed.

Ecclesiastes 3 is where i wish i had gone for wisdom. :)

Good luck,

I have had 3 surgery's on the same shoulder,shot a 30:06 2 weeks after a rotator surgery,you should be pretty good to shoot by turkey season,

I have a 20 guage double barrel with little kick if you want to borrow it.

Two days before my archery elk hunt in 2012, I did something stupid while loading gear and felt a huge POP in my left shoulder. I knew it wasn't good, but I was leaving for my hunt no matter what. I had waited too long for that tag. I spent all two weeks out hunting, thinking I would get tagged out earlier and into the doc. I called towards the end of my hunt to make an appointment and it was another two weeks before I could see him. Turns out, I tore some ligaments in my A-C joint. It was supposed to heal on its own if I put my bow down and let it rest for 6-8 weeks (4 weeks in by appointment). Of course, my wife talked me into installing laminate flooring ourselves and with 2 weeks left in my 8 week recovery, just as everything was finally feeling great, I set myself clear back. I ended up having multiple cortisone shots and the doc told me surgery was my only long term solution. With turkey season and fire season approaching in 2013, I told him there was no convenient time. In March, I tried to shoot my bow after the last cortisone shot had worn off and it put me in tears. I went on my turkey hunt and in early May went to see my doc/surgeon with my tail between my legs. Of course, he wanted to do surgery immediately, but I had a family trip to Florida that included fishing over July 4 holiday. I put fishing with my family ahead of my surgery. In hindsight (always 20/20), it was DUMB! I had surgery July 11. I was very fortunate in that there was no rotator cuff damage. It was irritated, but not seriously damaged. I spent 2.5 months doing physical therapy and was able to draw my bow again on Thanksgiving day without dropping the poundage and without pain. Had I done the surgery earlier, I would have been recovered faster and been able to pick up my kids and hug them sooner. 5 months without being able to pick up my kids was way too long. Good luck and listen closely this time! It may end up being a slower recovery than you'd like, but it will be worth it all!

I get surgery this Wed. I will still hunt turkey next month shooting with the other shoulder, unless I am hurting to bad. Then I will shoot them with the video cam instead. Torn biceps tendon ,labrum and some rotater cuff. Sucks getting old. Hope Your heeling fine Nature girl!. Everyone says this is a rough one. We shall see.........BOB!

Shoot from the hip.

I popped my knee out a week before Archery Elk season. I went on crutches and sat a water hole. I didnt get a shot but it was better than staying home.

UPDATE doc says he would not recommend surgery right out the door so PT and I have restrictions (yuck!). I started off thinking I could just do everything with my left arm. Then I started thinking I might not want to hurt that one too.

The injection and anti-inflammatory are working well (almost too well). I have to often remind myself of my restrictions, make myself go to PT, and then back to doc in 6 weeks to check in. I didn't ask about turkey season.....I must admit, though, 1-3 shots since I'm not having surgery is really tempting to me but only if the opportunity presents itself, but I'll inquire when I go back in.

I rolled my ankle really bad at work 3 or 4 years ago and as I was laying there on the ground I had a few choice words knowing that my dear hunter was two weeks later. Luckily I never hunted by myself thanks to several members and I was able to take enough drugs that I could walk.

Shoot from the hip.

I popped my knee out a week before Archery Elk season. I went on crutches and sat a water hole. I didnt get a shot but it was better than staying home.

hey thom i thought this was a deer site? Maybe you should have paid a farmer and did some shooting! just quoting your elk forum post...