Sneaker

Cabelas Card just Canceled - Fraud

Cabelas just called me this AM, 3/16/2014. They said I had suspicious charges in the middle of the night. Sure enough, was not me or my wife. He said it was to all of the same exact charges that all of the Target Theft cards are experiencing. So cards are canceled. It is a good thing G&F will attempt to contact me when they try to hit my card this year and it gets rejected. What really bugs me is how was I not notified by Target, CC companies, etc before today that I was part of the theft? Wouldn't they have known that?

They have been pretty tight lip about the whole thing and firing a lot of people. What irks me is these merchants and payment processors needs to start being accountable for their lack of security and monitoring. In the end it works it's way down to the consumers as always

I had my Cabela's card canceled last week for fraud also. I had only used it recently for putting in for the WY, UT, and AZ draws.

is there a problem with cabalas cards, me and my father used one for az,wy hunts

Not trying to offend anyone here but I was brought up on the mindset, if you don't have it don't spend it. I'm lower middle class but I'm building my house cash, my trucks are paid for with cash, my groceries and "fun spending" are cash, and most importantly my hunting licenses and tags are CASH! I do have a credit card incase I need it and use it for gas twice a month just to keep it active. I may be alone but I feel we need to get back to our roots and use what we have at the time. I'm sorry your card was canceled because of theft, I don't for any reason feel its your fault, but when it comes to important things, cash is king!

• Like 2

/>Not trying to offend anyone here but I was brought up on the mindset, if you don't have it don't spend it. I'm lower middle class but I'm building my house cash, my trucks are paid for with cash, my groceries and "fun spending" are cash, and most importantly my hunting licenses and tags are CASH! I do have a credit card incase I need it and use it for gas twice a month just to keep it active. I may be alone but I feel we need to get back to our roots and use what we have at the time. I'm sorry your card was canceled because of theft, I don't for any reason feel its your fault, but when it comes to important things, cash is king!

I with ya as in cash is king...... but it is just easy to apply on line..... plus pretty soon you will only be able to apply on line here......

And easy to apply online?? I guess if you say so! The only issues I've ever heard about the draw have been from online credit card appliers. I don't remember several threads, several pages long about the guys who use money orders to apply. Only issue with paper apps is if the guy applying messed up, or the chance g&f messed up which happens but not as often as CC issues.

That's why I didn't use b of a snapshot... too much drama and issues.

Personally, I love credit cards and the ease of doing stuff online. Fraud and cancelled cards are going to be a fact of life from here on out. I just wish the game and fish would get on board with a more solid way to deal with it when it happens. It breaks my heart to hear about hunters saving bonus points for years only to have their dreams ripped out from under them because their card was cancelled right before a draw. A vendor selling you a 2 dollar item online will call you and say "hey your card didn't go through". What is so hard about that? Supposedly that is how it is going to work this year...we shall see.

By the way...cash is king, I pay off my cards every month.

I just got a "new" Cabelas card yesterday..

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to see what is up.

Jeff

A few years back I had the same thing where my CC got canceled right in the middle of all the application process. After that I opened a CC account and only use it for my applications. I never use it for anything else. I think this is the best way to deal with the problem. It seems like every few years one of my cards or wife's cards get hit with fraud and they have to cancel the card. It may be time for you to get a Hunting Applications CC only. Very unlikely that you will ever have the problem again. Just an idea. It is not easy to deal with some states when your CC is canceled in the middle of the process. Good luck with your current problem.

• Like 1

Cabelas just called me this AM, 3/16/2014. They said I had suspicious charges in the middle of the night. Sure enough, was not me or my wife. He said it was to all of the same exact charges that all of the Target Theft cards are experiencing. So cards are canceled. It is a good thing G&F will attempt to contact me when they try to hit my card this year and it gets rejected. What really bugs me is how was I not notified by Target, CC companies, etc before today that I was part of the theft? Wouldn't they have known that?

The CC company would not have necessarily known that your card was breached in the Target case. The security failure was not on the 'processing' or 'network' side. It was a data security breach within Target's system (their database was hacked/broken into.....). In the case where the security breach is on the network or card company side, the card issuer will almost always immediately contact impacted card holders to reissue cards. Card issuing companies are strictly regulated by federal banking regulations which require this action ASAP. In the Target case, the breach was not on the CC issuer side so it apparently wasn't handled as such.

FYI.....

S.

:)