Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

whats your back up plan?

My daughter turns 10 next month and for the first time in my life, I'm not worried about whether or not I get drawn. Yes, deep down, I hope I do, but if only one of us is to get drawn, I truly hope she gets the elk tag and deer tag. Looking ahead at her deer hunting opportunities and what we've talked about and what she wants, I will probably buy a bonus point for myself and rely on my archery deer tag. I've talked to a friend about leftover Coues tags, which really interest me again, but that's only if it doesn't interfere with my daughter's hunts. I guess the short answer to the original question is my archery deer tag is my backup plan with the possibility of a leftover Coues tag. If she doesn't get a deer tag, we may skip on down to south Texas for her to shoot a deer and, hopefully, a hog with my brother-in-law or another friend or two down there!

OTC fall bear, az deer hunting. Helping my friends on different deer, turkey and elk hunts. My fall gets pretty full from September thru Dec. Just hunting with friends here in Az.

My daughter turns 10 next month and for the first time in my life, I'm not worried about whether or not I get drawn. Yes, deep down, I hope I do, but if only one of us is to get drawn, I truly hope she gets the elk tag and deer tag. Looking ahead at her deer hunting opportunities and what we've talked about and what she wants, I will probably buy a bonus point for myself and rely on my archery deer tag. I've talked to a friend about leftover Coues tags, which really interest me again, but that's only if it doesn't interfere with my daughter's hunts. I guess the short answer to the original question is my archery deer tag is my backup plan with the possibility of a leftover Coues tag. If she doesn't get a deer tag, we may skip on down to south Texas for her to shoot a deer and, hopefully, a hog with my brother-in-law or another friend or two down there!

Keep in mind that if you draw a tag and she doesn't you can transfer it to her. I gave my deer tag to my daughter last year and took her on her first deer hunt. We didn't get one but we got pretty close to some does and she had a blast.

Keep in mind that if you draw a tag and she doesn't you can transfer it to her. I gave my deer tag to my daughter last year and took her on her first deer hunt. We didn't get one but we got pretty close to some does and she had a blast.

The only problem with that is because of her crazy soccer schedule, if I'm going to elk hunt, I'm limited to early archery only. If I draw and she doesn't, she can't use my tag. She's good with her bow and has been pulling 34 pounds for quite a while, but I'm not ready to let her elk hunt with a bow yet. As for deer, I've been holding out for a Strip tag. I can't apply for that with her hunting desires because if we both get drawn, given the hunt she wants, one of us will get screwed out of a hunt. I may not be ready to let her hunt elk with a bow, but I have no problem getting her an archery deer tag (she's expressed the desire) and sitting on a tank with her in my blind. No matter what, she'll be deer hunting this fall and she knows it.

The only problem with that is because of her crazy soccer schedule, if I'm going to elk hunt, I'm limited to early archery only. If I draw and she doesn't, she can't use my tag. She's good with her bow and has been pulling 34 pounds for quite a while, but I'm not ready to let her elk hunt with a bow yet. As for deer, I've been holding out for a Strip tag. I can't apply for that with her hunting desires because if we both get drawn, given the hunt she wants, one of us will get screwed out of a hunt. I may not be ready to let her hunt elk with a bow, but I have no problem getting her an archery deer tag (she's expressed the desire) and sitting on a tank with her in my blind. No matter what, she'll be deer hunting this fall and she knows it.

That's great. I think I'll be putting my kiddo in a treestand with me this year. I just noticed last night that they dropped the legal poundage to 30 instead of 40. She can't quite tug 40 yet.

I will be right here in southern AZ chasing deer with anybody that wants to or by my self. No money to go out-of-state, barely enough to run around here. :(

Think I mite just try and educate some thieves. Maybe place a corn flinger or trail cam and see who comes to take it. ;)

• Like 2

Mass, NY, & CT whitetail, turkey and bear...

Where in Mass are you hunting? I grew up there and hunted the Brookfields - Charlton - Dudley area.

/>

Mass, NY, & CT whitetail, turkey and bear...

Where in Mass are you hunting? I grew up there and hunted the Brookfields - Charlton - Dudley area.

Not sure... going with a friend who has leases and is nice enough to let me sit his stands...