Sign in to follow this  
jaymzth007

Should I switch to a drop away?

I know this topic has been beaten to death on archerytalk, but I wanted your guys' opinions on this, as I think people here would be more honest than some of the fanboys on AT. I have been shooting/hunting with a Whisker Bisquit forever and am wondering if I should switch when my Prime Impact gets here. I was thinking about a Trophy Taker Smackdown pro or QAD Hdx. Is a limb driven rest better than attaching to the down cable? Have you guys had any issues stalking with a drop away (noise, containment etc)? Should I just stick with the old bisquit? What about the Axiom Pulse or Limbdriver pro v? I'm not dead set on any of these, just wondering if I'm missing out and need to take advantage of new, better technology. Thanks!

I have shot many rests and was a whisker biscuit fan for years. They are hard to beat but i started disliking them for various reasons and now i love my qad hdx. Would not go back to whisker biscuit for anything. And no i havent had any problems with them while stalking or taking an animal. Drop a ways just have too much of an advantage over the biscuit.

Choices would be qad hdx or limbdriver pro v. Stay away from the code red as it is very noisy.

IMO I want the least amount of moving parts on my bow..there are enough things that could go wrong on a stalk wouldn't want to have to worry about the rest failing too. Stick with the biscuit.

Whisker Biscuit rests cause to much contact and noise and do not allow as accurate of arrow flight. They also wear fletching out faster. I shoot a Ripcord SOS. Limb driven rests are cool but I think they are noisy. But it is like anything else, if it works for you and you are happy with it, use it.

Paul

I have the QAD hdx and love it. No issues whatsoever with noise or containment. Can't say I've ever used a whisker biscuit. I don't like the idea of all the contact with the arrow or fletching.

I switched to a drop away, went back, and made the final switch back to a drop away. I have had the QAD, Rip Cord and Drop Zone.

Never had any trouble with any of the drop always or WB.... Found my groups to be a little tighter with the drop away, archery is such a mental thing, go with what you want. I know for a fact there are shooters with WB that shoot perfect scores.... So the WB is a great rest.

I would stick with a Whisker biscuit for hunting. I like the fact that the arrow is fully contained and wont fall out of the rest. You can stalk with a arrow knocked and you wont have to hold the arrow with your finger or worry about it falling forward and making noise while on a stalk. I have friends that have had arrows fall off the rest while drawing back on game and ultimatley not being able to harvest game. Whisker Biscuit is worry free in my opinion. Its a simple proven rest. The more moving parts you have the greater chance for a mishap.

• Like 1

I would stick with a Whisker biscuit for hunting. I like the fact that the arrow is fully contained and wont fall out of the rest. You can stalk with a arrow knocked and you wont have to hold the arrow with your finger or worry about it falling forward and making noise while on a stalk. I have friends that have had arrows fall off the rest while drawing back on game and ultimatley not being able to harvest game. Whisker Biscuit is worry free in my opinion. Its a simple proven rest. The more moving parts you have the greater chance for a mishap.

This is what made the whisker bisquit so appealing to me when I first saw them years ago. When I was in my teens, I botched a shot on a real nice 7x7 while using an old plunger type rest. Arrow fell off and hit the riser. Not sure if the sound of the arrow hitting the riser was louder or the bull running away was! Anyways, I'm wondering if the transition from a WB to a drop away is going to be an awkward one in a hunting environment, being that I have used one for so long.

• Like 1

I've tried them all. If you're shooting competition then try all the rest but when it comes to hunting and you don't want any problems then stay with a WB

No worries when it comes to arrows falling of the rest or any mechanical problems that will occur at the worse moment with other rest. Whisper Biscuit! :)

TJ

I used a whisker biscuit for about 5 years and upgraded with a new bow 3 or so years ago and it had a drop away rest. I loved that too and had zero problems with either type. It was the rip cord code red, or something like that. I upgraded last month and my new bow has a NAP apache drop away rest, and it is my favorite by far. Much better arrow containment than the code red style, but not the ultimate containment provided by a whisker biscuit. On my biscuit, the arrow containment hole began to enlarge over time, which affected my groupings. Dont know how commonly that occurs, but it happened to mine.

I have shot both extensively and I feel much more accurate with a drop away. Most high quality drop aways contain the arrow just fine and in my opinion some of them contain arrows much better than whisker biscuits. The qad ultra rest for example, locks into place, fully containing the arrow and if for some reason you decide you aren't going to shoot you just flick the lever and your arrow is no longer contained. Extremely user friendly and very very reliable. And more forgiving than the whisker biscuit. And it doesn't have soft bristles that fatigue over time. I can understand the idea of not wanting to add moving or mechanical parts to your bow but if you don't want moving parts involved with your archery equipment then you should trade in your compound for a recurve. I've had more compound bow failures than I have drop away arrow rest failures and yet I still shoot a compound bow because its more efficient than a recurve, that doesn't have mechanical components. Just like I drive a car to work rather than walk because although my car is less reliable than my feet, it is more efficient. So to answer some of your questions, I think the switch from a whisker biscuit to a fall away would be beneficial. I don't have experience with all of the rests you mentioned but the qad rest, from my experience, is a winner.

• Like 2

Love my drop away. Shoots great with zero clearance issues after tuning and contains the arrow when I am spot&stalking too.