couesmagnet

750 - 1000 wolves planned in Az; meeting planned this weekend

$60,000 dollar reward! Really? How good of friends do people have? How come nobody has ever been prosecuted? My understanding is that the USFWS knows that it would never hold up in court if DNA test results were shown. The genetics are muddled with domestic dog, all of the mexican wolves. The result would be admittance to what can now be dismissed as public speculation.

Took this picture off the sign in Williams Valley. Tears me up.

attachicon.gifIMG_0029.jpg

The" I shot 3" comment is great!

How many are in Arizona right now? New Mexico?

So 80 in the wild total? Or just 80 in the wild in AZ? I read somewhere there are 300 in captivity?

So what is the total worldwide population and where are they? 1k? 20k? 200,000? Are there a bunch in mexico?

I know with it's larger cousin the gray wolf there are like 200,000 worldwide so why re-introduce them in the States? It's not like they are endangered or anything like that. Is this the same case with the Mexican Gray?

I think we all like our game animals to much to want these in our backyard. I would like to know the whole story though.

Here is the latest update. As elk society is working with most all wildlife groups, cattle growers, land users, counties AZGFD etc. To develop this agreed upon plan. The plan is in draft stage waiting lon agreement from New Mexico and a couple others. Steve Clark has been working very hard to get agreement for the plan so we as sportsmen/land users don't have a federal plan dumped on us. The plan will be out in the next couple of weeks. The attempt is to agree on a wolf number that is much lower and biologically sound than the Fed numbers. Steve is trying to balance numerous needs and I applaud his hard work. Go to Arizona elk society website and volunteer to help since elk numbers will be most affected by wolves. Allen Taylor

Will do!

These are wolves. Pic from my daughters elk hunt in 2011. I have some clearer pictures on an old SD card somewhere.

post-4480-0-06595100-1396876366_thumb.jpg

Im orginally from Wisconsin, till I moved here 3 years ago. Its the worst thing they could do. I watched how in a matter of two years after the WI DNR reintroduced wolf, the deer heard was slaughtered. They few elk we had (from reintroduction) was also hit super hard from the wolfs. They took over and are doing great, though everything else not so much. Such a shame they are even thinking about this.

So 80 in the wild total? Or just 80 in the wild in AZ? I read somewhere there are 300 in captivity?

So what is the total worldwide population and where are they? 1k? 20k? 200,000? Are there a bunch in mexico?

I know with it's larger cousin the gray wolf there are like 200,000 worldwide so why re-introduce them in the States? It's not like they are endangered or anything like that. Is this the same case with the Mexican Gray?

I think we all like our game animals to much to want these in our backyard. I would like to know the whole story though.

So, looks like there are under 400 Mexican gray wolves left. Not 4000, not 40000... 400. in the whole world, 400.

What if we rounded up all the wild ones left and put them back in captivity. Then let them slowly die off due to inbreeding and what not caused by keeping then penned up. That would keep our game animal populations safe wouldn't it?

As hunters, we are all members of the original conservationists group. Without out efforts (and money) game animal populations probably would not be in the shape they are currently. That being said who here is ok with helping to contribute to the complete extinction of a species? Is that what we want? To wipe them off of the face of the planet forever?

I don't know what the answer and I don't want my game animal populations decimated, but I sure as heck don't want to be associated with helping to kill off a species.

So, looks like there are under 400 Mexican gray wolves left. Not 4000, not 40000... 400. in the whole world, 400.

What if we rounded up all the wild ones left and put them back in captivity. Then let them slowly die off due to inbreeding and what not caused by keeping then penned up. That would keep our game animal populations safe wouldn't it?

As hunters, we are all members of the original conservationists group. Without out efforts (and money) game animal populations probably would not be in the shape they are currently. That being said who here is ok with helping to contribute to the complete extinction of a species? Is that what we want? To wipe them off of the face of the planet forever?

I don't know what the answer and I don't want my game animal populations decimated, but I sure as heck don't want to be associated with helping to kill off a species.

There's a good reason why there's only 400 left on the planet......Nobody wants them!!

I don't want to see any species of wolves completely extinct. However, keep in mind that sampling and surveying wolves is a tough topic. We may only know of 400, but the actual number is likely higher than that. They're not like surveying a herd of elk on the winter range.

I'm getting old and my eyes are a goin'. I don't know if I could tell the difference between a coyote and one of them there mexicali dogs they call wolves. <_<

Don't know if anyone remembers reading or hearing about this, but I was working the 4 drag ranch down by Safford. I worked for Dean Warren. He was the cowboy who was attacked by 4 wolves. He was working his cattle when a 2 yr old female, 2 yearling pups and a 3 year old male wolf attacked him and his dogs. I wasn't with him that day but hooked up with him 3 days later. He said he fought them off for 3 miles until he got to his line shack and was able to back his horse and dogs into the coral corner. Finally they left. He had been on his radio to the forest service as he was the honorary sheriff at the time in that area. He was told when they were to release the wolves that it would be 1-2 years before anyone ever saw or had contact with them. 2 weeks after their release his neighbor had pics of 1 running thru his pasture. Dean left 1 of the dogs during the fight hoping they would kill and eat that one and leave him and the rest alone. Well, the dog he left made it back to the ranch in bad shape but lived. At line shack that night he showed me some pics of the attack as he had a disposable camera in his saddle bags. As i was looking at them in came the "Wolf Recovery Girl", a forest service officer on their mules. She had placed traps to catch them. I looked at the pics and there was no doubt in my mind that these were not pure bred Mexican Grey wolves and Dean agreed with me. She confessed that they weren't. They were mixed with dog, raised in a zoo in Minnesota and had been hand fed since their release as they were not making kills on their own. (except Dean's and other ranchers cattle) He had fired his 40 long colt in the air, on the ground around them with no results. This is not how the story was supposed to go as far as the wolf experts claimed. They were protected then and Dean was not allowed to shoot them. That has changed since but still makes me mad as I could have lost a very dear friend of mine due to ignorance on some other peoples part. This is NOT a fairytail as I was there and saw the results of what the animals can do to a ranchers operation. If they release them then start selling tags. Or beware of the repercussions you will cause.

• Like 1