capoeirajosh

leftover Hopi?

From what I have read in the regs these Hopi tags are now open to all hunters, not just tribal members as leftovers. Are these hunts for the whole 5A and 4A unit or are they in a select part of the unit? Same price for these tags? Never put in for leftovers before. You just mail the app in with the money for the tags and if you don't get drawn they send it back? Sorry, for all of the questions. = ) I know it is a long shot trying to get one of these leftovers. Just trying to make sure I have everything figured out beforehand. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

This thread should be blown up! (Sorry I'm greedy)

yes to everything you said and send a check because I don't believe they refund the money. They either cash the check or throw it out so don't use a money order.

This thread should be blown up! (Sorry I'm greedy)

yes to everything you said and send a check because I don't believe they refund the money. They either cash the check or throw it out so don't use a money order.

I agree, sometimes its better to do the info gathering on your own, instead of announcing it to everyone. It's not being greedy, its called self preservation.

Yeah now the 19,000 applicants for leftovers is going to balloon into 20,000. It's a long shot either way. I send in my app every year and have never been selected. Just get a returned envelope.

here is how it works....

1) on the day of the "draw", the G&F dump all of the envelopes out on a floor, and then pick through them one at a time... open them, and them, look for all necessary data, and if all is correct they reserve your tag. They then cash the check or if a money order issue you the tag.

they do this until every tag has been "filled", then they simply stick all of the application envelopes in a larger envelope and send it back to you... unopened.

My daughter drew a leftover deer tag in unit 4A a few years back. What's odd is my son got his returned envelope back the following week (of the draw), but my daughter obviously didn't, and the G&F wouldn't answer questions I had because we didn't get a returned envelope. Perhaps she was selected as a "backup" for a tag, and the G&F, when they couldn't cash someone else's check, issued her one. We didn't get her tag for about 3 weeks...

It's probably not 19,000 applicants, but it is likely over 18,000 applicants for those tags!

Oh yea, one other thing... if the G&F gets your application a day early (in the mail), they return it unopened, or if they get it a day late, it's, well, obviously too late. They must get it on the day of the "draw".... & therefore you have to rely on the USPS to deliver it on the exact day that they need to...

My personal suggestion is to... well.... hunt in Colorado this year. By all means apply, but plan on the San Juan Mtns. between Dolores and Durango.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info!! Sorry, for the thread. I was just curious.

• Like 1

here is how it works....

1) on the day of the "draw", the G&F dump all of the envelopes out on a floor, and then pick through them one at a time... open them, and them, look for all necessary data, and if all is correct they reserve your tag. They then cash the check or if a money order issue you the tag.

they do this until every tag has been "filled", then they simply stick all of the application envelopes in a larger envelope and send it back to you... unopened.

My daughter drew a leftover deer tag in unit 4A a few years back. What's odd is my son got his returned envelope back the following week (of the draw), but my daughter obviously didn't, and the G&F wouldn't answer questions I had because we didn't get a returned envelope. Perhaps she was selected as a "backup" for a tag, and the G&F, when they couldn't cash someone else's check, issued her one. We didn't get her tag for about 3 weeks...

It's probably not 19,000 applicants, but it is likely over 18,000 applicants for those tags!

Oh yea, one other thing... if the G&F gets your application a day early (in the mail), they return it unopened, or if they get it a day late, it's, well, obviously too late. They must get it on the day of the "draw".... & therefore you have to rely on the USPS to deliver it on the exact day that they need to...

My personal suggestion is to... well.... hunt in Colorado this year. By all means apply, but plan on the San Juan Mtns. between Dolores and Durango

Right on, Ill send one in!

Super secret info...If you mail it Friday nite at 11:52 P.M. you have a 94.7% chance of getting the tag. Good luck!!!!! :rolleyes: :o ;) :D :lol:

/>

Too much info going out! Once again thread should disappear!

Haha happens every year. I was waiting for the, what day is the best to mail leftover app in, thread.

They should do it first come first served in person and see how many people camp out there like on black Friday's that would be hilarious. ......