Sign in to follow this  
DNS

Unit 1/27 Youth Turkey Hunt

I took my son and his friend up north this weekend on a youth turkey hunt. We saw one Jake on opening morning and a few hens. My son passed on the Jake and since we didn’t see much the rest of the day he was catching a bunch of crap from me and his friend for not taking it. About an hour before dark we heard a Tom gobble so we tried to move closer to get a shot. The Tom already had a bunch of hens so it wouldn’t come to us and it was too open for us to get close to it. My son and I split up from his friend and his dad. We started heading down the mountain and heard another Tom across the canyon so we started moving that way. This Tom would answer us each time we called, but wouldn’t move towards us. We decided to move towards it and see if we could get a shot. We slowly made our way up the mountain and got to within 60 yards of it, but it shut up and we couldn’t see it. Our friends started calling in the bottom of the canyon and another Tom answered them and then our Tom gobbled one more time so we knew where it was. We moved a little closer and it came out from behind a tree and saw us about the time we saw it. My son was ready to shoot and took his Tom at about 40 yards.

After it got dark we heard about 10 Toms gobbling in different places in this canyon so we decided to get there early the next morning. The next morning as soon as we got out of the truck there were Tom’s gobbling everywhere in the dark. We picked the 2 most vocal Toms that were close together and slowly headed that way. We got to about 100 yards away from where we thought they were and they shut up. We were moving across this old unused road and I noticed three Toms strutting just in front of us about 60 yards away. We moved in closer. One of the Toms started to get nervous and poked his head up where we could see and my son’s friend took a shot, but missed and the birds were gone. He seemed a little down on himself after getting close to this bird and not getting it. This was his first turkey hunt so he didn't know what to expect. I told him we would find some more and then about 10am we got on 2 more Toms. This time he was able to connect and got his first Tom at about 30 yards.

post-11812-0-67455400-1398317596_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-12218100-1398317642_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-55422700-1398317668_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome hunt for sure! Nice birds- sounds like you were into them really good. Lots of fun! Congratulations to both those young men on their success.

• Like 1

Great Job! I can't wait to take my kids next year. My wife & I are headed to unit 1 tonight for opening day tomorrow. I'm hoping we have a similar hunt:)

Adam

• Like 1

Last week they were gobbling like crazy at night, but would shut up around 7am. They did pick back up later in the afternoon until dark.

Great job on the 2 toms. I'm headed up for my hunt in Unit 1 this weekend, so hopefully they're still hot and calling. Looking for my first turkey even though I'm an old guy. :)

Congratulations to your son and his friend. Sounds like you were in an awesome spot. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Devil Down River, headed up this Friday to Unit 1 also. Never taken a turkey. If you are interested, give me a call and maybe we can hook up and work some birds together. My buddies bailed out on me this past weekend for the upcoming hunt.

pm sent

Super job!! Congratulations to the young hunters!!! Nice story and pics! Thanks for sharing the experience!!