Adicted

Would you take your kids to hunt down south?

Would you take your kids to hunt Coues down South?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take your kids down South to Hunt Coues with the known risks involving Drug/illegal traffic

• yes without hesitation
    • yes but really nervous
    • yes but no camping out
    • no, not worth the headache and worries

Haha stay away from the border units then... Death is guaranteed... It's pure heck fire and chaos. You won't make it out alive. Go south of tucson you die.... I can believe some people... Definitely living in fear... It's just as scary living in America under Obama...

Am I living in fear to drive around with a fastened seat belt, locked doors, auto insurance, and life insurance to top it all off?

Talk to any BPA out there and they'll tell you that there are a lot of rip crews working out there that constantly rob and rape aliens. The aliens themselves are usually benign, but the ones out there looking to prey on border crossers might not discriminate.

• Like 1

The point that most of us are saying is that every time you walk out the door there are risks, heck there are risks in your own home, with home invasions, burglary, and theft. Take the usual precausions and keep your ears and eyes open all the time, they WILL make noise long before you see them.

Of course there are always risks in life. but to put them all in the same category without appreciation for relative probabilities is foolish.

I took my 9 year old son hunting Coues in 36B last year, never had an issue. I spent a lot of time in the Tumacacori's and never saw any sign of any activity, saw lots of other hunters and hunting campsites, I also took my wife hunting in the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge and in Brown Canyon, which are reputed high traffic corridors. We met a husband/wife in Brown Canyon who were out hunting with their 12 year old daughter, they said they saw a group of drug mules hauling heavy packs and called in CBP but I didn't see them or anything at all that made me nervous. There are places with a lot of activity, the closer you get to the border the higher your odds of course, Scout areas that don't have major access routes like canyons and ridges that run North South for any distance. Bring a side arm if you prefer, I did but all the good it did me was to weigh my pants down. You'll see plenty of CBP agents, I tried talking to a few to see if there were any areas I should stay away from (or any that they'd seen deer in) but I got little usable information, maybe my approach was off.

Lets call a spade a spade... hunting down south has its drawbacks, and can be dangerous. Be cognoscente about your surroundings, don't look for trouble, and go down with a side arm and you should be fine.

On the other hand, the buck to doe ratio is so jacked up and there are so many tags that there are no bucks so no one should hunt down there!

these.

P.S. If you get drawn in 34a, zero problems. The Santa Ritas are a great unit, I hunted there two years ago solo and would go again in a heartbeat but have been targetting Kaibab hunts and didn't get my mail in leftover choice last year. 34a will be high on my list this year if I have to resort to leftover draws again.

Haha stay away from the border units then... Death is guaranteed... It's pure heck fire and chaos. You won't make it out alive. Go south of tucson you die.... I can believe some people... Definitely living in fear... It's just as scary living in America under Obama...

you're right it's all sunshine and lollipops on the border nothing to see here!! I don't think anyone thinks that death is imminent, just don't want to go to jail for protecting our country from invasion of war criminals.

has any hunter in the past 30 years had to shoot at illegals down there? srs question. and not trying to be rude, but it sounds like youve never hunted there before.

never said had to I said I would it is an act of war.

and yes I have hunted only in 29

you're right it's all sunshine and lollipops on the border nothing to see here!! I don't think anyone thinks that death is imminent, just don't want to go to jail for protecting our country from invasion of war criminals.

has any hunter in the past 30 years had to shoot at illegals down there? srs question. and not trying to be rude, but it sounds like youve never hunted there before.

I can't believe that dude is that scared of his own country. So if the illegals pushed north you'd move further north till the forced you into Canada? Grow a set.

not scared to be in my own country I'm scared of what my country would do to me for protecting it.

• Like 2

used to take the kids down there and shot some nice deer, but we got sick of all the border potrool hallen butt all around our camps all night long, and glassig eligals with drug back packs and guns, and oh ya the costums helicoters buzzen you on top of frugata peak nope were happy here in 22

• Like 1

If you like that area, then heck yeah! Don't let those punks take away anything from you and your family. Go down there and have a great time making memories to last a lifetime with your kids.

P.S. If you get drawn in 34a, zero problems. The Santa Ritas are a great unit, I hunted there two years ago solo and would go again in a heartbeat but have been targetting Kaibab hunts and didn't get my mail in leftover choice last year. 34a will be high on my list this year if I have to resort to leftover draws again.

0 Problems? You obviously haven't spent much time in the Santa Ritas! I work there on a daily basis, and there are several Rip Crews working the Santa Rita's. And on top of it the amount of drugs going thru there should concern everyone.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say don't hunt down south, but I would recommend that you don't take a knife to a gun fight. Go prepared, which means you can never have to much ammo. I have seen mules and armed dope loads on multiple occasions while hunting in southern Arizona. Even got shot at by armed mules in 35b several years ago. But you know what...I still go and hunt down there. Maybe its the side of me that likes living dangerously, or maybe its the beautiful country and abundance of wildlife that draws me back. Not real sure. But I can tell you its not for the faint of heart!

• Like 1

No, stay away from the border, way too dangerous...

I was being sarcastic, for those of you who took me serious, sorry. I've lived and hunted the border my whole life, I'm comfortable being down here.

0 Problems? You obviously haven't spent much time in the Santa Ritas! I work there on a daily basis, and there are several Rip Crews working the Santa Rita's. And on top of it the amount of drugs going thru there should concern everyone.

I don't go to the Santa Rita's a lot but I've hiked Mt. Wrightson, Spent a week hunting on the West side North of Box Canyon, hunted the East side near Hidden Springs and spent a couple days last year during OTC archery down in Madera Canyon, could be I've just been lucky but I haven't seen a single illegal, coyote, or drug mule. My wife and I did hear some guys on handheld radios when we were in Madera Canyon, sounded like CBP but we never saw who it was.

I go down every chance I get, 34A is my backyard and I hunt there more than any other unit. I have seen some illegal action down there but nothing to scare me away. I have also seen illegals up in unit 33 so you never know. You just need to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared. Put your kids in for the Junior hunt down in 36A or 36B and camp at the SCI Junior camp, security in Numbers!

• Like 2