NeckRoast

Tree stand help

I like my Lone Wolf Alpha Climber with sticks. It gets me way up there and very concealed. I can also put it on my frame pack and bring it anywhere. That is a huge plus.

Millennium M-100R (14 lbs)

Millennium M-210 sticks (17 lbs)

Chameleon Bow Blind (5 lbs)

m100R-600x600.jpg

I like that stand

Thinking about getting a stand for this augest, I plan on taking pretty deep in the back country so a later stand is probably to heavy, how high up should I plan on going? (Couse deer) how do I control scent? Am I screwed if the wind is blowing all over?

I like to be at least 17 feet off the ground. I prefer 20 if possible.

Can anyone explain to me why you cant put a climber stand where you can put a hang on stand? I do it all the time and never had any issues. I do add a ratchet strap to the base of the stand around the tree to keep in pinched to the tree so getting in and out it cant slip.

• Like 1

Ladder stands are best but I've thought about picking up a light climber myself for remote areas.

I like to be at least 17 feet off the ground. I prefer 20 if possible.

Can anyone explain to me why you cant put a climber stand where you can put a hang on stand? I do it all the time and never had any issues. I do add a ratchet strap to the base of the stand around the tree to keep in pinched to the tree so getting in and out it cant slip.

Completely agree. Just because you want to sit in the climber doesn't mean you have to use the climber to get up the tree.

My climber is so much more comfortable than my hang on's.

Comfort = Time @ 20' high = Opportunity

how high up should I plan on going? (Couse deer) how do I control scent? Am I screwed if the wind is blowing all over?

I like to be at least 20' as stated above, guy's back east think we're nuts, I think we (kinda) have to be.

Lots of topics on this site about controlling scent and how to deal with swirling wind - I am convinced there are just times when things will not work out to sit a particular tree at a particular time. That's why I like a climber, takes just a couple minutes to relocate and keep hunting. I pick out and prepare at least 2 trees opposite of each other around the proverbial 'x.'

After learning more since my last post in this thread, now when I am fully committed to a spot, I spend the time to put a hang on stand in my favorite tree - then you can go up and down 100% silent, but if the wind or situation dictates the tree just isn't right, I keep my climber nearby and ready to go to the next best tree option, hunting again in minutes.

Specifically for but likely not limited to Coues deer, you can't just climb higher and think the scent will then go over them if the wind isn't right. I've gone way higher than I feel comfortable trying just that, to no avail, and I won't do so anymore. Keep the wind right, be patient, good things will come.

I used to use fixed position stands but the last couple summers have used only my Viper SD climber. It's the most comfortable tree stand I've ever been in. Maybe too comfortable, I may have caught a nap or two in it.... It's actually kinda fun to wake up in a tree with deer below you.

As mentioned before by some of the other guys, I do all day sits, from before sun up until it's dark which is about 14 hours in August. The stand being comfy is essential or you won't be able to pull that off. At least not for more than one day.

Not all us guys out east think your nuts.

I like to be mobile, out here I use my summit alot, I can get up into my position and back down pretty quickly, if the wind changes so do I.

another thing I let tree canopy/brush/limbs/terrain etc dictate how high I climb and set up, with that ive been as low as 8 feet to as high as 55 feet, my average is 25-30 feet.

I also like to use ladder stands, in these to me the higher the better, ive got a buddy stand for my son to hunt with me and we had a great time in it the last 2 years.

14 hour sits in Aug! I'll never be a good tree stand Hunter. I can barely sit still for two hours in a ground blind. In 14 hours I'd have to eat 3-4 times, go to the bathroom 3-5 times, move 400 times, etc.

55 feet! Man that is up there.

yes 55 ft.

i was on the side of a steep hill, below me was a heavily used trail and on the top was another....in order for me to watch both and not get busted was to climb a tree in the middle, about dead center, that put me about 25 ft above the top trail.

55 feet! Man that is up there.

yes 55 ft.

i was on the side of a steep hill, below me was a heavily used trail and on the top was another....in order for me to watch both and not get busted was to climb a tree in the middle, about dead center, that put me about 25 ft above the top trail.

Im guessing you needed a healthy dose of dramamine for that sit, right? Ive never climbed that high but heard the stories from some old iowa tree sitters.

Ha ha, no actually height don't bother me and this tree was pretty much the same diameter all the way up to where I climbed.

I remember very little wind that day so no tree movement either.

The reason I remember so much about that day was it was the first hunt allowed on a state park deer reduction...I was drawn like many others and that morning as the sun was coming up I had a monster buck walk down hill about 125 yds from me...I couldn't find him in the scope to shoot him.

I was using a pistol.

:-(