Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

My sleeping bag sucks/// Which one to get

Find a 100% cotton canvas shell with 9 pounds of hollow fill with the nicest, coolest cotton inside for under$100. Butler bags have the same thing, but can you get one of them for the same price?

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/rectangle-sleeping-bag-by-guide-gear.aspx?a=259444

Thats a good deal, looks like an elk hunter.

Plenty of opinions on this topic, so I might as well share mine. ;)

I have a LL Bean down mummy bag that my dad bought about 15 years ago. (He gave it to me a few years ago when he and mom were downsizing and thinning-out their stuff.....) Not sure what it is rated to, but it's pretty warm and light at the same time. I also have a nice sturdy Cabela's canvas bag. The down bag used as a liner inside of the canvas bag has NEVER let me down in cold weather. Awesome warm combo!

S.

:)

PS: I also always pack a couple of wool blankets when car camping in cold weather. A wool blanket draped over the top of the cot does wonders!

Plenty of opinions on this topic, so I might as well share mine. ;)

I have a LL Bean down mummy bag that my dad bought about 15 years ago. (He gave it to me a few years ago when he and mom were downsizing and thinning-out their stuff.....) Not sure what it is rated to, but it's pretty warm and light at the same time. I also have a nice sturdy Cabela's canvas bag. The down bag used as a liner inside of the canvas bag has NEVER let me down in cold weather. Awesome warm combo!

S.

:)

PS: I also always pack a couple of wool blankets when car camping in cold weather. A wool blanket draped over the top of the cot does wonders!

thank god for dads and moms down sizing/thining out! My pops has kept me in nice gear ever since he retired and doesn't get out as much.
  • Like 1

Ive been taught, "rating +20". so if the bag is rated down to 20 degrees, you can really only sleep comfortably down to 40 before the cold will take over.

Basically this.

Rating + 10 to sleep in long bottoms and a T-shirt. Rating + 20 to sleep toastie warm in your skivies.

Besides that, pick a bag that you like.

I've got the SlumberJack -20 for cold nights. You'll sweat if it's over freezing.

Not to derail here, but isn't that smell of your sleeping bag when it's been put away for some time just awesome? My dad had an old Coleman canvas tent, and there was just something amazing about the smell of the tent, the sleeping bags, cots, the old pump-up stove and lantern. You just knew you were on the hunt - the dutch oven cooking, a little misty morning, the cold air on your face... just paradise.

• Like 1

Not to derail here, but isn't that smell of your sleeping bag when it's been put away for some time just awesome? My dad had an old Coleman canvas tent, and there was just something amazing about the smell of the tent, the sleeping bags, cots, the old pump-up stove and lantern. You just knew you were on the hunt - the dutch oven cooking, a little misty morning, the cold air on your face... just paradise.

+1 Coach. Just reading it brought back all those wonderful memories and smells!

I've got a Remington Bag that I bought 20 years ago at Sport's Authority for about $40. Rated to -20 deg. I've been in temps down to zero with it and the only complaint I have is that I SWEAT IN THE BAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I actually need to buy one that is less warm for some of my hunts.

Lots of good bags on the market ... personally I like the ones with flannel liner and a canvas shell. All preference.