Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

My sleeping bag sucks/// Which one to get

I have been cold the last 2 times out. Temps were only down to the low 40's. I'm looking for a rectangular one for the wife to buy me for fathers day. Any reccomendations on one that will keep me warm if temps get down to the 20's..

I have a slumberjack big timber -20 and it's GREAT! It's definitely not for backpacking, but extremely comfortable and warm.

I got a large rectangular one form sportsmans wharehouse. (the mesa store has a stack of them behind the cash registwers next to the jrkey stand). They are rated for 0 degrees and have done me well on my hunts and camping trips. I can fit me and the dog curled up a my feet in the bottom of mine. ha ha.

they run 54.99 and two zip togethor make a queen sized bed, for those trips with your wife.

Ive been taught, "rating +20". so if the bag is rated down to 20 degrees, you can really only sleep comfortably down to 40 before the cold will take over.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/TETON-Sports-Sportsmans-0-degree-Rectangle-Sleeping-Bag/productDetail/Rectangular-Bags/prod99990134257/cat100842 is a link to the bag

I've got the Grizzly canvas 25 degree bag and Love it. They make a zero degree bag too. 90 inches long and 40 inches wide for us built for comfort kinda guys. I've been in 20 degrees and didn't get cold. Till I got up!

Nothing but the ELK HUNTER. rated for -35. It's a huge bag as far as dimensions and ver very warm.

Nothing but the ELK HUNTER. rated for -35. It's a huge bag as far as dimensions and ver very warm.

I have two and one more.

I use the non-hooded version of this bag and, with warm pjs, I'm plenty warm down to way cold during winter hunts. Its definitely a car camping/camper type bag, but with my cot or in our pop-up, its tough to beat!

if you have a bag that is comfortable- all you really need is a heavy duct canvas type tarp - kinda use it like a taco shell - 1/2 to get you off the cold ground and the other cover over you - to cut and cold or morning dew

the other method I use - go to local goodwill buy the huge (2) quilts for pennys on the dollar - fold one 1/2 to lay on and cover over your bag with the other easy way to stay toasty warm

they come in handy and have so many uses around camp from covering ice chests - can be used to keep game meat from sun etc .

but nothing like a big comfortable sleeping bag - slumber jack -0 bag -- 2 thumbs up

The outdoorsmans sleeping bag is awesome! I have been using mine for years now and it works great. Slept outside in 15 degree cold and was still warm.

I have a -20 trekker and have no complaints. Its a large rectangular bag and keeps me warm. I have used it in the teens with absolutely no issues.