Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Stuff handed down from parents/grandparents.......

muledeerarea33? made a comment in the 'sleeping bag' thread that got me thinking........ Maybe this topic has been covered before, but what is some cool and/or precious things that you have which was passed down to you from a prior generation?

My father is 90 years old now and living in an assisted living place in N. Scottsdale. Due to his health, he never gets-out in the hills anymore. As he and mom downsized through the years to a condo then to their current place, I have been the benefactor of some great stuff.

I mentioned that I have an awesome sleeping bag that my father bought himself a while back to go on a trip to Alaska. It is a great down sleeping bag, and I think of our trip to Alaska every time I use it! I also have a safe full of guns passed on from him. Many of them are the same guns that I envied greatly when I was a boy growing-up in Kearny! I also have a little miscellaneous gear like a couple of knives and ammo boxes. Finally, he also handed me the keys to his 96 GMC extended cab 4x4 when he gave-up driving three years ago. It was very well cared for and is now my primary hunting rig! (Three kids in or close to college will keep me from buying a 'new' rig for a few years, but that GMC will do me just fine..... ;) )

When my grandfather passed away, we found an old Montauk cane fly fishing rod in his stuff. It is in AMAZING shape and I treasure it!

Of course it goes without saying that the most amazing gifts that have been passed-down are the awesome memories and experiences, but the 'stuff' adds to it and reminds me of all the good times.

So what great stuff do you have that has been passed down?????

S.

:)

PS: Can't leave my mom out either! I happened to be going through a divorce 7 years ago when they were downsizing and hence my kitchen is stocked well with her old pots, pans, small Kitchen Aid appliances, knives, etc.... When I use the pancake-turner that she gave me, I can almost still feel the way it felt across my backside!!!! :lol:

• Like 2

The most valuable thing I own is a 25 cent hankerchief that was carried by my grandfather.

• Like 1

My grandmother left me an 1881 silver dollar. When she arrived in the U.S. at Elis Island the first thing she got was silver dollars. She gave one to each of her grandkids before she died.

• Like 1

My grandmother left me an 1881 silver dollar. When she arrived in the U.S. at Elis Island the first thing she got was silver dollars. She gave one to each of her grandkids before she died.

That's good stuff!

My grandfather also came through Ellis Island in the early 1900s! I went on their website and was able to find his signature and details of his arrival on-line, as they have uploaded the records for their archives. Maybe you could find your grandmother's record and signature?

Thanks for sharing!

S.

• Like 1

That's good stuff!

My grandfather also came through Ellis Island in the early 1900s! I went on their website and was able to find his signature and details of his arrival on-line, as they have uploaded the records for their archives. Maybe you could find your grandmother's record and signature?

Thanks for sharing!

S.

Thanks I 'll check

My dad is an amazing fly fisherman. He built for me a fly-rod that has some of the most intricate threadwork I've ever seen. The countless hours he spent on it make it one of my most treasured items. He also handed down to me a Howard Hill longbow (signed) and cedar shafts with turkey fletchings the old Fred Bear heads - along with the same leather quiver and iconic wrist protector Howard used in the original Robin Hood movie - back when the actors actually had to make the shots in their movie.

• Like 1

My dad is still alive at 83 and all his stuff is in his barn still. My mom passed and I have much of her glassware, tableware and cooking stuff. My grandmother I have an old yellow Pyrex mixing bowl that I grab first when cooking. My grandfather I have some old various tools, fence pliers, saws, bits... quite a few stuff.

Probably the most used is an old coleman 413 stove I found behind the corrals in the junk pile on their property. It was rusted and obviously the tank didn't work. I asked if I could have it and granddad said 'sure, I was throwing it anyway', so I rattle can sprayed it green after cleaning the rust. That was about '78. I use it all the time still with a propane converter.

Next would be the old butcher knives my grandmother had. Old carbon blades that would rust if you spit in their direction. The things were sharp though and Moms could butcher a deer lickity split. While going to MCC I was staying on their acreage in a Travel trailer and killed a couple deer. She'd cut it all into thin breakfast steaks, every little bit, and substitute it for bacon. She also made gravey with any meat and any meal.

She'd make a deer last a long time that way... eggs, venison strips, biscuits and gravy every morning... granddad was in heaven and some of my older cousins would often stop by to snitch some too... if there wasn't any left they'd give me the evil stink eye, like I ate their first born.

When we were butchering my dad's cow elk last season, we were in the barn and talking about Moms's breakfast meat. On a whim we cut all the loins into thin strips. I make eggs, elk, biscuits and gravy... I can see her smile.

I have ten or so old carbon knives I've picked up over time, I really like them for preparing game and fish.

IMG_20140330_101813_165-1_zps8bf0faa5.jp

IMG_0251.jpg

DSCN0809_zps9134da16.jpg

IMG_20140516_163356_585_zps8e8a4324.jpg

IMG_20140315_065849_697_zps3f4e0505.jpg

• Like 2

My grandpa left me a rifle I truly cherish, nothing fancy but it or many meals on the table for my dad and his brothers and sister. Remington 721 270 that my dad killed his first elk with and I killed my lion with. Also got a nice, old 30/30

• Like 3

I have a couple pistols my grandpa brought home from germany WWII along with his army uniform knife and a couple of Nazi metals.

• Like 2

Fortunately both my Mom and Dad are still very active and I'll take that over anything else. Dad turned 89 last week and still put in with us for Deer. I do have the Down mummy bag that he made from a frostline kit. It's still very warm and brings a lot of great memories every time I pull it out. I still remember seeing my Dad covered in feather and shredded foam when he was making them. The static electricity made everything stick to him and couldn't stop laughing when he came out of the den covered like was tarred and feathered.

I have my Grand Dad's compass from WWI. Brass and stamped 1917. I carried it for years. I also have my Grand Dad's Cavalry Dress Saber. Both of them are now locked in the gun safe.

• Like 3

I have several things but these are very special

N.R. Davis double barrel shotgun that my grandfather passed to my dad and my dad to me.

ENFUR 1915 rifle wife's grandfather brought back from WW I

2 mantel Coleman lantern circa 1950's still works like a champ

The list goes on but these 3 always bring back fond memories.

• Like 1

Well, I suppose I better respond too. After all, I am the muse for this topic haha. My pops has given me weapons, camping gear, chain saws, tools, vehicles, fishing stuff, etc. my mom gives the wife and I something new every time we go up to visit. From rolling pins to a fry daddy to our new automatic cat box with a years supply of cat litter!! They've always tried to make our life better than theirs and at the same time we've always worked hard for what we have or have gone without. Knowing this, they hand down items knowing we will cherish them far more than if they had just bought it new and handed it to you. I suppose the best thing I've ever got from any family member, like others have posted, is a good work ethic, honesty, strong morals, a since of purpose, and the ability of free thinking. With all that, who really needs "stuff"? (Stuff is awesome though!!)

• Like 3

Here's a pic of Grandpa from Berlin & a pic of his war trophies he brought home. Apparently he also had a bunch of rifles at one point, but granny didn't like guns so she made him get rid of them. The pistols are what he was able to keep hidden in the bathroom closet. ;)

post-1431-0-54543800-1402413686.jpg

post-1431-0-06503400-1402413700_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

This is a cool thread! I wouldn't even know where to begin with the stuff I've inherited over the years, although there is a bunch of stuff that was lost when our house burned to the ground when I was 5 years old in 1978. Several firearms, including some rare/collectors items. I have all of his good meat-cutting knives and sharpeners from his meat-cutting days. I have a pair of Ho-Chi-Minh sandals that my dad brought home from Vietnam. Said he got them from a VC that "didn't need them anymore." I have his original jungle fatigue shirt, too. The shirt and sandals tuned up at a friend's house many years after the house-fire. I have the H&R Topper single shot .410 that was my dad's dad's and was the first shotgun I hunted with.

I have my great grandpa's (mom's side) WWI uniform, complete with leggings and C-cap. I remember my great-grandma giving me that shortly after he passed away. Before too long, I should be getting his original helmet that is hanging in my great-aunt's house. I also have his tackle box. I still remember the day he gave it to me. My grandma was one of 12 and he said I was the only great-grandkid that looked like him, so I was getting it.

I have my grandpa's (dad's dad) tackle box as well. I aslo have the tackle box of a guy who helped raise my dad. Every now and then I crack them open and marvel at the antique lures in there. I need to get them in a display.

And one of my favorites is the 1978 F-150 Custom that my dad brought brand new in August 1978. He paid $7k cash back then (bill of sale still in glove box). He handed me the keys they day I turned 16 back in 1989. It needs a new fuel pump, but otherwise runs great. It was my daily driver until 2002. It also needs some other TLC on the body and interior, but once I get the fuel pump replaced, its a champ!

• Like 2