Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Yellow ferret in the woods?

Weasel. I've seen them in 27 and 1. Usually at 9000+ feet although I did see one 1/2 mile upstream of Buffalo Crossing on the Black River. Spent a lot of time in that country many years ago. Very unusual to see one, probably seen three or four in my life, all in their summer coats.

Ermine is a weasel in it's white color phase. In winter, weasels turn white. Saw an Ermine/weasel riding up the ski lift at Sunrise in the late 70's. Surprised the heck out of me, only one I've ever seen. White as the snow with a black tipped tail. Hope you get a picture.

• Like 1

Black footed ferrets rarely live in locations without prairie dogs, or outside of grasslands.

I am confident that it was an Arizona weasel, a subspecies variation of the long-tailed weasel.

The picture below was pulled off the internet and I take no credit for it.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I have seen a lot of weasels in the past couple weeks...all of them were two legged.

• Like 3

It would have been a Long-tailed Weasel and of the "bridled" form. Western forms have a mask while eastern forms do not. This is the only "ferret" found in Arizona besides the Black-footed Ferret. I saw one years ago in 4B.

Thinking weasel too. Have seen them at blue ridge reservoir amongst the rocks.

Black footed ferrets rarely live in locations without prairie dogs, or outside of grasslands.

I am confident that it was an Arizona weasel, a subspecies variation of the long-tailed weasel.

The picture below was pulled off the internet and I take no credit for it.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I have seen a lot of weasels in the past couple weeks...all of them were two legged.

I thought you boys down there ran them all out of town a while back.

Swivelhead Quote "Saw an Ermine/weasel riding up the ski lift at Sunrise...."

Imagine the attendants look when that weasel bought a lift pass.

• Like 1

Actually there are weasels and martens up here in Northern AZ. I friend of mine saw a marten on a kaibab deer hunt last year. I believe they photographed it. Also Ermines have been confirmed as others have previously mentioned.

A martin in Arizona would be a very rare sighting indeed since their historical range never entered Arizona.

The closest a true Ermine gets to Arizona would be NE Colorado. Weasels do turn white during the winter similar to hares and they keep their black tipped tails.

• Like 1

Actually there are weasels and martens up here in Northern AZ. I friend of mine saw a marten on a kaibab deer hunt last year. I believe they photographed it. Also Ermines have been confirmed as others have previously mentioned.

Nope.

No Martin in AZ nor Ermine. No Fisher either.

• Like 1

it was a weasel. nothing more, nothing less. i've seen a dozen or so, and they can vary quite a bit in color with really any mixture of brown/yellow, turning white in the winter.

• Like 1