Adicted

Check out this Pink Rattlesnake from Ben Avery

How often do they do the hunters ed field day there? I need to finish mine up. I've had a hunters ed card since I was 13 but haven't completed the AZ one for my points.

Beautiful snake. Glad no-one killed it. I've never understood that kill every snake you see mentality that some people have.

I'm pretty sure that any other state safety course is creditable to Az. Call G+F and ask.

• Like 1

How often do they do the hunters ed field day there? I need to finish mine up. I've had a hunters ed card since I was 13 but haven't completed the AZ one for my points.

Beautiful snake. Glad no-one killed it. I've never understood that kill every snake you see mentality that some people have.

I'm pretty sure that any other state safety course is creditable to Az. Call G+F and ask.

I'll add it to my already long list of things I need to ask at the game and fish office. Going in a week to register my new boat, pick up lion tag, etc, etc. thanks

I'm not in favor of killing every snake, just every rattlesnake. With the average cost of treatment at $100,000, I don't have much of a care for them.

• Like 2

I killed everyone in My yard or around it in Cave Creek. Would get 7-8 a year in Yard. Wife didn't like Me killing em , but I said They die or We or the dogs die. Not much to think about there. Had plenty of other snakes to kill the kritters.. Out hunting I let them live ,thats their territory. My yard is Mine.............BOB

Wow, pretty cool! I don't like snakes one bit. I've seen some amazing pics that people post up here on the forum. I myself wouldn't try my luck at getting close. More power to you guys!

Found a few 4 footers behind my house where my kids ride bike while out on a walk. They are rolled up in my freezer. I find babies every once in a while too, but I try to relocate them. They are fast. Normally I won't kill em if they are not big enough to cook up but when I find em close to my house they go away.

That's a beautiful critter but I don't allow them near the place. Have been lucky to have dogs that tattle on them, but I have had 2 horses struck. One filly was struck twice in a year, she just couldn't learn.

And I have nothing against pink rattlers, I find them useful for profiling purposes.

Well I'm no snake guy, but I've talked to a lot of guys that's been around a few Cowboys! One claimed that the pink ones were those that had recently shed their skin, made sense to me! Another thing is why is is that some people get bitten and they have a terrible time long afterwards including nerve damage and some don't. I have heard that not all bites contain venum and that a mature snake knows exactly how much it will take according to the one getting the bites size, where as a young snake gives you a full shot no matter what. At one job I had we had to take a first aid class every two years, I ask one Paramedic that was giving a class about snake bites, since there was several around, and he said that most snake bites are treated with a shot of Benadril to keep the swelling down and to keep your airways open, and that anti venum was rarely used due to its availability and cost.

my 60 yr old uncle just north of camp verde at his home was struck in the leg by a green mohave. it was under a vehicle and no rattle, just struck him. Make a long story short he spend a week in ICU at a hospital. When he got home he was really weak and a few day later the venom some how kicked back in and he spent a few more days in the hospital. I hate rattlesnakes and if it were not for game and fish being there at the class, I would have a nice pink rattle snake headband....

Well I'm no snake guy, but I've talked to a lot of guys that's been around a few Cowboys! One claimed that the pink ones were those that had recently shed their skin, made sense to me! Another thing is why is is that some people get bitten and they have a terrible time long afterwards including nerve damage and some don't. I have heard that not all bites contain venum and that a mature snake knows exactly how much it will take according to the one getting the bites size, where as a young snake gives you a full shot no matter what. At one job I had we had to take a first aid class every two years, I ask one Paramedic that was giving a class about snake bites, since there was several around, and he said that most snake bites are treated with a shot of Benadril to keep the swelling down and to keep your airways open, and that anti venom was rarely used due to its availability and cost.

Here is some info on this particular snake. I never doubt an old cowboy but I have had lots of different snakes as pets and non of them were pink after they shed the skin which can happen 2-3 times a year.

http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Snakes-Subpages/h-c-mitchellii.html

I do believe that is a Pink Mojove. We generally find them around houses that back to rocky mountain sides. We get called to relocate them all the time.

Former herpetologist here (still practicing, I guess; just not research oriented). My M.S. project was studying Mojave rattlesnakes and their venom. That's definitely not a Mojave. Mojaves don't inhabit rocky areas, they are a grassland/creosote flats species. Its either a speckled or a tiger rattlesnake. Both of those species have that color variation, can be found at Ben Avery, and inhabit rocky areas. Tigers have a very small head proportionate to their body. Its hard to tell from that pic, which one it is. Its definitely not from shedding its skin. When snakes shed their skin, they stay the same color they were before shedding. When I lived in Tucson, I relocated dozens of rattlesnakes from peoples' yards to avoid bites and to give the snakes a chance to live happy somewhere else. I try to be level-headed and, as much as I hate the idea of a snake being killed, I understand and respect those of you who have killed them in your yards. I know more about venom and both its short- and long-term effects than the average person and I you definitely don't want it in your body, your kids' bodies, of your pets' bodies. I accidentally inhaled pure, crystallized mojave toxin (neurotoxin) once in grad school. My nose went numb for three hours and I had sporadic re-occurrences every few months for about 10 years. I ALWAYS support personal safety first and that includes safety of the whole family!

It is true (generally) that the adult snakes have a high occurrence of dry bites (no venom injected) and that juvenile snakes tend to inject a full load. From an evolutionary point of view, venom is expensive to make and they don't typically (emphasize TYPICALLY) waste it on non-food items. There can be residual venom in the fangs that can cause problems, though. If a paramedic is only treating venomous snake bites with Benadryl to keep the swelling down, that paramedic is not doing their job properly. Antivenin is used for a reason. It is expensive, but it sure beats the alternative (mostly massive tissue damage internal bleeding). Very few people die of snake bites anymore, due to advances in medicine, particularly antivenin. It is typically those who leave a venomous snake bite untreated that have a higher chance of dying. Anitvenin, in and of itself, has pros and cons as to its effectiveness and cost (that's a whole other topic, though).

• Like 1

I didn't read the whole post but I would have let someone know so it could get relocated. Hate to see some archer get nipped on the ankle while flinging arrows on a coarse.