muledeerarea33?

Helicopter rental?

Hey Dan, I think the foreman of the XX has a plane.

oh buddy!! If he did I'd be in the sky 24/7!!!! Well, the eggplant parmesan is in the oven, the prickly pear fruit I picked this afternoon is about done in the coffee filter so I'm ready! It's not to often I've been on the outside of the group, I'm just asking a question. Thank you to those of you who answered and confirmed the fact that I can't afford it.
  • Like 1

I thought the rule was you just can't hunt for 48 or 72 hours after flying?

I don't see why it's such a big deal if you aren't hunting from the aircraft? I've always wanted to have a fly over the unit I always hunt. I think it would be cool to see the area I stomp around from above.

I have always been curious how it would go with marking waypoints on my GPS.

Then it's the foreman of a neighboring ranch, I met him at your neighbor Bill's.

We fly in a fixed wing with a STOL kit. If you have a good pilot, you can cruise just above tree level at pretty slow speeds. We mostly look for bear, but see everything else from deer to elk. Just make sure the pilot is watching where he is going and not the 400"+ elk you just saw! because that can cause some scary moments...

• Like 6

I was thinking more along the line of having a Heli drop camp me. I doubt $1200 an hour is realistic, but I was wrong once a long time ago.

I'd like to fly 32. It would save a lot of time behind the steering wheel if for no other reason then to see what condition the roads are in and how to get into different areas.

GE is all fine and good but not up to date for finding H2O and you can only zoom down is so far in some areas.

Operating costs (incl. sinking costs for future maintenance) for a small piston helicopter such as the Robinson 22/44 or the Enstrom F-28F typically run about $400/hr. This does not include pilot time. Move up to the turbine class helicopters (most common) and the cost/hr. really begin to spike. The helicopter is a highly specialized type of aircraft and you pay for it. You would be better served finding a pilot with a STOL airplane for rent. Low and slow is the way to go.

• Like 2

Thats it buy an ultralight and be done! In the long run it would be cheaper than the bird for any amount of time then you could rent it to me.

I'd like a helicopter to just drop me and my stuff up on the mountain a couple days before the hunt so I don't have to carry a 100+ lb pack on my back for miles!

• Like 2

I thought the rule was you just can't hunt for 48 or 72 hours after flying?

I don't see why it's such a big deal if you aren't hunting from the aircraft? I've always wanted to have a fly over the unit I always hunt. I think it would be cool to see the area I stomp around from above.

I have always been curious how it would go with marking waypoints on my GPS.

No it says no flying starting 48 hours before any big game season except mountain lion season. Once deer season gets going there is a big game season all the way through January.
  • Like 1

Flew an area I hunt once in a four seater helicopter. It was a treat from my old so I couldn't tell you what it cost. Didn't see much game but learned a lot of new water sources ( even stuff I'm not willing to hike to) and gained a better understanding of what the animals might do come hunting season. Put a lot of miles on the boots before that trip and time on google earth, but nothing compares to what you learn from a heli.

I'm sure it's out of my budget but I'm curious. What's it cost to have a chopper take you up and scout? Not necessarily for critters but more for water, locations for spike camps, etc?

Not sure if it's out of your budget - how much would you be willing to pay for a brick of 22 LR? :rolleyes:

#StirringThePot

• Like 4

When I worked for an agency that looked for animals the cost of a helicopter ranged from $900 to $1500 per hour be pending on the model of copter.

I'd like a helicopter to just drop me and my stuff up on the mountain a couple days before the hunt so I don't have to carry a 100+ lb pack on my back for miles!

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Didn't get drawn, but was wondering how much it might cost to get dropped off and picked up in the Mazatals.

I'm sure it's out of my budget but I'm curious. What's it cost to have a chopper take you up and scout? Not necessarily for critters but more for water, locations for spike camps, etc?

Not sure if it's out of your budget - how much would you be willing to pay for a brick of 22 LR? :rolleyes:

#StirringThePot

I have around 30,000 rounds from stocking up over the years, maybe I can trade some to the pilot for my ride haha!!
  • Like 2