CJNAZ

Question for gun safe owners in the lower desert areas

Looking for experiences and opinions from folks who have their safe located in the garage or other non-air conditioned location. Other than solidly securing it to the foundation and somewhat out of sight from the street, what other concerns are there?

Do you feel the excessive heat has a negative impact on weapons/ammo, documents, digital media, etc.?

Do you do anything to control or reduce moisture?

What else can you teach me about this?

Thanks!!

I brought mine in the house. I didn't feel comfortable with the heat in the garage.

I pondered this a few months ago when I bought mine. I made room in the house. More secure, out of sight, controlled environment. If in the garage, definitely have to bolt it down. I don't think the heat would be a problem on guns and ammo...maybe a problem with digital media. Seasonal Humidity is what I would be concerned about on the guns, but there are devices for that. A lot of guys do it though.

• Like 2

I have the big yukon gold that sportsmans used to sell. I made room in the house. Not worth any of the risks with being outside. I am close to being out of room in it so im just going to get some smaller ones and stash them in closets.

I didn't have a choice and left my big safe in a non climate controlled storage unit for a year and then in my garage (also no A/C) for a year and a half. The only negative effect was the Yuma heat did a number on the "Browning" decals. When I came home the stickers had slid down the front of the safe. I don't keep any ammo or electronics in there so there wasn't any other issues.

• Like 1

When we lived in Tucson and first got our safe, we put it in the house. It wasn't bolted down, but the guy tried to convince me to bolt it through our tile and into the wall. My wife laid the smackdown on that and I didn't argue. I pointed to our two German shepherds and said if anyone survives getting into the house unwelcome, they've earned the right to try to get that safe out. We through a big desiccant block/brick to help with seasonal humidity. Never had a problem.

The older you get, the more you rely on trickery, deception and deceit.

Hot out in the shop? Plug it in. Comes equipped with light and storage compartments. The safe works great for chilling beer and venison, too.

Please don't ask what the washer/dryer are used for.

post-11051-0-70346000-1408031446.jpg

• Like 5

The older you get, the more you rely on trickery, deception and deceit.

Hot out in the shop? Plug it in. Comes equipped with light and storage compartments. The safe works great for chilling beer and venison, too.

Please don't ask what the washer/dryer are used for.

When I was a kid, we had our house broken into and they stole all of our guns along with a side of beef from our freezer.

Sorry that happened, thieves should be shot without a blindfold, stood up and shot again.

The way things are going, I'll hide the guns in the freezer and keep the beef in the safe.

• Like 1

Mine is an old telecommunications box, maybe mountian bell? Not fire proof but big and heavy and alarmed.post-8438-0-56461900-1408063153_thumb.jpgpost-8438-0-05302700-1408063235_thumb.jpg

Mine is in my shop without a/c or heat the temp. Ranges between 50f to 90f. In the summer I set the a/c at 90f.post-8438-0-56461900-1408063153_thumb.jpgpost-8438-0-05302700-1408063235_thumb.jpg

I have often wondered the same thing. It seems to me like wooden stocks may get dried out and be at risk to cracking.

I had mine in the garage for a few years with no issues. The only gun I had that any issues was an old .22 that has basically no blueing left. It surface rusted a little. If I had oiled it more often it would have been fine. It was only in the garage because I had no choice. My new house my safe has moved into the laundry room. It is not climate controlled, but it is between the garage and house so it sits in the middle as far as temps compared to house vs. ambient.

I keep the vent fan on when the laundry is in to keep the humidity down. I also have silica packs in the safe that I rotate and a bottle that has water absorbent material in and has a 1 way film so water can enter but not leave.

Ammo and powder are stored in the garage in the heat with no adverse effects. I have always had it that way and my dad did too. All the powder still performs well and even 100 year old military surplus ammo that has been in the garage for 20 years goes bang.

• Like 1