MULEPACKHUNTER

Monday Check in

Must be that time of year, i improved some this week, no scale but I made several swims and runs. Hiked with pack as well.

Healy reminded me of this thread, its slowed down on reporting and we are getting in on hunting seasons now. I am in on an Elk tag and I am ready to go as far as needed hiking, packing, mules, calling, whatever it takes.

My heavy training has slowed some but I still maintain my same weight from a year ago, I know I have traded some muscle for fat but I am by no means out of shape. Mine is a dailey struggle. The last few weeks have been very good, I made some hard hard miles with my backpack and bow, the hunting was not the best but I came off archery deer season feeling leaner and of sounder mind. Day one on the mountain was an eye opener and I was wrecked after 4 miles to base camp and 3 or 4 miles hunting with daypack (this hunt was scouting elk and learning new ground so I didnt sit long to glass). Day 2 was sore but moved ok, by day 3 I was feeling stronger, now 2 weeks later and alot of miles of heavy packing serious hills I feel great.

Lesson learned I am going to carry my pack alot more next year preseason and this year of course but theres no better training for carrying a backpack than actually carrying one. Still getting some good jogging miles in but the swim and bike have gone missing.

9 days chasing elk and then its time to be real and get it back in gear, I still have my otc deer tag and a rifle deer to work on the rest of the year and I dont want any excuses keeping me away from the tallest glassing hill.

• Like 1

For a little boost jump in on Marks new thread and lets get moving again.

I just loaded a 50 lb bag of horse pellets in my old pack and set it by the door, getting the mail, feeding horses, picking horse crap, im going to haul that pack and hate it. LOL

• Like 1

Alright I'm jumping back on the this thread, thank to Mulepackhunter and healy for keeping this thread going. Been walking and eating more healthy the last 2 weeks. I went from 245lbs ish to 195lbs four months ago and now weighed in at 235lbs 2 weeks ago. I'm trying learn how to continue eat healthy. Here I go round 2, trying to hit 185 before Christmas

• Like 1

I'm headed to a new place I joined in South Scottsdale right now - only been a handful of times. It was 2x a week. Now it's 3x. Hot, crappy, tough workouts. Good so far - like it. I'll check back in shortly.

• Like 1

Checking in from here in KY. Went out to local WMA to shake off the cobwebs and walk around under some weight. Put in about 4 miles, saw a small flock of turkeys and then saw two does on the way back to the truck.

• Like 1

Great Monday - good overall fitness week despite work being busy

• Like 1

I've gotten way off track. Last year I was doing great. I had early archery bull, wife and oldest had late bull rifle, two other boys had deer and javelina. Started eating better working out, them BAM!! Umbilical hernia while doing leg curls 3 months before my hunt. In between recovery and the hunt, we bought a new house and moved in just two weeks before my hunt. The rest of the year was spent running around on everyone else's hunts. After the last one, motivation dropped off.

This year, no tags except two junior pig tags next month. I have been trying to exercise and eat right, but its hard when I live out of a suitcase on the road half of the year. I need to figure it soon, getting a little too out of shape.

• Like 1

I've gotten way off track. Last year I was doing great. I had early archery bull, wife and oldest had late bull rifle, two other boys had deer and javelina. Started eating better working out, them BAM!! Umbilical hernia while doing leg curls 3 months before my hunt. In between recovery and the hunt, we bought a new house and moved in just two weeks before my hunt. The rest of the year was spent running around on everyone else's hunts. After the last one, motivation dropped off.

This year, no tags except two junior pig tags next month. I have been trying to exercise and eat right, but its hard when I live out of a suitcase on the road half of the year. I need to figure it soon, getting a little too out of shape.

Hey - start back with something - easy walks or light days lifting.. Ramp it up as you can. Just quit telling yourself "tomorrow"

I had a buddy who needed to lose over 100 lbs FINALLY meet me for a workout. He's fighting his way back - day by day. So far he's stayed motivated and lost over 40 pounds.

The whole country is too big. Now is the time to re-calibrate for so many people.

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess its time to stop making excuses and get after it.

• Like 1

Early check-in--- Monday will be a run but over the weekend the Whitetail Archery season opened on our base in KY. I went to the hills (everyone else went to the food plots), I walked about 4.5 miles with my hunting buddy. I carried my X2 with my Coues Deer load plan to test out my kit (minus the rifle of course) and had a blast. We saw a good number of deer, got a great leg workout and busted out the new digi-scope set up with no hiccups.

Today I'll be in a treestand but I'm still packing that in about 1.5 miles for the evening hunt.

• Like 1

i went from basically lifting everyday for 10 years to not lifting at all in 5 weeks and i look like garbage. fml. but i almost think delivery pizza tastes better than working out does. maybe its time for a new hobby.

Friends don't let friends skip leg day. Good friends mix in cardio just make it horrific. Thought I was going to blow out an artery

But it's over with and that's a darn good way to start another round of 7 days.

Onward

• Like 1

Quick check in im down to 219lbs from 235lbs today. Been rough but hanging in there!!!

• Like 2

Found out last week that 8 days on an early archery bull hunt is about the best workout one can get, ounce the adrenaline kicks in and the first bugle sounds through the hills you dont even realize how hard you are going, looking back on the week we covered a ton of ground and hardly stopped working, eating, sleeping, drinking , and pooping. Yes pooping, looking back we were like animals, up steep climbs, side hilling, cat holes right where we stood, eating, drinking, chasing, napping, waking to more of the same for 8 days. Feel really strong and lean right now. Wish I could do it 2 weeks every month. Lets call it elk camp boot camp workout 2015. LOL

• Like 2