Sign in to follow this  
jwhunter

Couple of NM Bruins

My buddy and I had a very exciting hunt over the weekend. We had run ins with rattlesnakes, a mountain lion stalking me in the dark, and stuck in a crazy lighting storm on the mountain. But we were able to glass up 13 different bears. We killed two nice boars with my 338 edge.

post-3905-0-68924300-1408505177_thumb.jpg

post-3905-0-98207800-1408505221_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Nice bears. Whereabouts in NM u bag 'em?

Being stalked by lion at night always fun, do tell more, Details, man, details!

• Like 1

Very cool! Congratulations on a very successful hunt.

That second bear has a color phase to die for!!! Is that a 2-bear limit area, or did you shoot one and your buddy shoot the other, but you went ahead and posed by both of them?

Nice bears. Whereabouts in NM u bag 'em?

Being stalked by lion at night always fun, do tell more, Details, man, details!

On early Thursday morning when I was scouting, I was hiking to my glassing point. I took a quick break and looked to my right and about 30 yards was a mountain lion I could see with my headlamp. I'm pretty sure he followed me up the mountain. I started yelling at it, but all it did was stayed there hunkering down. After yelling at it, I picked up a rock and threw it at it. It finally ran away, but definitely scared the crap out of me.

• Like 1

That second bear has a color phase to die for!!! Is that a 2-bear limit area, or did you shoot one and your buddy shoot the other, but you went ahead and posed by both of them?

Sorry for any confusion. The zone were hunting in is a 1-bear limit. I shot the golden/blonde color phase and my friend shot the brown one with the blonde guard hairs. We took numerous field photos. Here's some more pics.

post-3905-0-80551600-1408511553_thumb.jpeg

post-3905-0-77405700-1408511637_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Congrats on 2 nice bears. Sounds like a very memorable hunt with all the extras thrown in.

Awesome! Nice work there guys!

I love the golden rust color of your bear, beautiful photo! Did you measure him from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail? What were they feeding on in that regrowth area? Are there berries around, or were they flipping rocks for insects?