hoghntr

** Snake identification

Found this little dude by my garage door. I know everyone is gonna say gopher or bull snake but wrong pattern and color looks like a dang baby python

• Like 1

Yep, desert night snake (Hypsiglena torquata). Cool find!

• Like 1

My wifey spotted him hunting our gechos. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt someones pet before I let him go.

I looked and looked for the pink rattlesnake post and totally forgot you were the snake man.. from now on I will just txt ya pics.

Thx for the help. mom and sis always have little 6 to 9 inch snakes that look about like worms, what are they? 3rd street and cloud, desert hills.. and they love expansion joints

Looks like a sonoran night snake. We had one for a pet, kids loved it until it got out of its cage. Never did end up finding it, wife not too happy.

I looked and looked for the pink rattlesnake post and totally forgot you were the snake man.. from now on I will just txt ya pics.

Thx for the help. mom and sis always have little 6 to 9 inch snakes that look about like worms, what are they? 3rd street and cloud, desert hills.. and they love expansion joints

If they look like worms, but have kind of a metallic sheen to them, they are blind snakes. The one species was recently split into two and they are now officially called "thread snakes". If that's what your mom and sister are seeing, its a western threadsnake (Leptotyphlops humilis). Cool find! IN all of my searching, I've yet to find one. Many years ago, a friend of mine was up late watching some sci-fi movie and went to the garage to get a coke and one of those was in there. He freaked out at first!

Here are some images I took of a Blind Snake we found in our garden. This was under a low magnification microscope. In the 2nd pic you can see eyes on the head. The tail is next to the head.

post-2983-0-22049300-1408644681_thumb.jpg

post-2983-0-87230300-1408644716_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I am ALWAYS finding snakes. I work a lot of remote locations, and they seem to seek me out sometimes. Here are a few.

Black King snake (Pima County)

130.jpg

Western Blind Snake

013.jpg

Sidewinder

0242.jpg

One of the MANY Gopher (or Bull) snakes

048.jpg

Everyday Western Diamondback

030.jpg

Not a snake, but a cool opportunity to touch a wild Gila Monster

IMG00267.jpg

He was a biggun. And really calm too.

068-1.jpg

Pink Speckled Rattlesnake

a56dc10e-59df-48d8-9be0-2f2fcffc4d12_zps

The biggest Gopher (or Bull) snake I have ever seen. Over 6' long and super friendly. I almost brought him home as a pet.

IMG_20140627_091457_659_zps1a88c4f1.jpg

Another Western Diamondback

IMG_20140401_101202_338_zps1a238b35.jpg

Another skinny Gila Monster, about 14" long or so.

IMG_20140627_063450_194_zps40393fca.jpg

Another grumpy sidewinder

0232.jpg

Desert Nightsnake

IMG_20131123_081520_532_zps5fbf4508.jpg

My wife freaked just looking at this photo...

IMG_20131004_073553_742_zpscd63777c.jpg

• Like 1