Sign in to follow this  
Heinz57

First Archery Kill!!!

Finally got it done Saturday afternoon! Worked really hard at it this year, and it all paid off. I had lots of great bucks on my trail cam and got out to scout as often as possible. Took Friday off from work and stayed out all day with my Dad. He didn't have a tag but was helping me glass. Picked up a group of 5 bucks within 30 seconds of pulling out the binos at first light. Most of the bucks I had previously captured on my trail cam. All great bucks, but I was looking for one in particular that would have scored close to 100". Passed on the group of 5, wanting to hold out for the big one. Plus I had a December rifle tag.

Got out again Saturday with Dad. Glassed up the same group of 5 bucks and watched them feed and bed throughout the morning. Took Dad back into town around 11am, and I headed home to kick my feet up and take a break from the heat. After about 30 minutes at the house, I headed back out. Sitting at home was driving me crazy when I could be out hunting!

Glassed up the 5 bucks again around 3pm. One buck in particular was definitely the oldest, and had the largest frame with the most mass. Only a 3x3, but definitely a nice mature buck. Dad and I referred to him as the "big fork". Another one in the group was a nice 4x5, but with a much smaller frame. I watched them bed, and decided to put a stalk on them. Dad came back out to spot for me from up high, while I sneaked into the bottom. Got into position and waited for about 30 minutes before the big fork got up and started feeding my direction. When he crested the hill and started coming my way, I felt my heart jump up into my throat and started to hear my heart beating faster and faster. I remember thinking, HA there's that buck fever I knew would come! Tried to calm myself down and focused on breathing. I ranged him at 68 yards, but wanted to wait for a better shot opportunity. Ranged him again at 55 between two bushes. Still felt like I could get a better shot. He fed behind another bush, which I ranged at 35 yards. "This is as good as it gets," I thought to myself. "You gotta make this happen!" I drew back on him, and waited for him to feed out from behind the bush. Waited for what seemed like an eternity at full draw, 50 seconds in actuality, and the buck still hadn't stepped out from behind that bush. I decided to let down. Ranged him again...30 yards exactly. When it looked like he was getting ready to move, I drew back again. I was in grass up to my chest, so the kill zone on the deer wasn't entirely visible. As I was at full draw, I slowly made a few steps toward the deer, which got me up just high enough to see above the grass in front of him. Still didn't have a clear shot! After 40 more seconds at full draw, I let down again. Made several more steps forward to get the best shot possible. The buck stepped out from the bush, quartering hard towards me. Given the distance and my confidence in my setup, I decided to take a frontal shot. I let my arrow fly and saw it hit it's mark. The buck blew outta there, went about 20 yards, and dropped right in front of me. The realization that I had just killed my first buck with a bow hit me, and I have to say, that was probably one of the greatest experiences of my life. To top it off, my Dad was able to watch the whole thing play out through the spotting scope, and I got to share the moment with him. Not to mention, I captured the entire stalk and kill shot on my GoPro!

Although I have no regrets, my success was bittersweet. Sad to see the hunt end so early, especially considering the fact that I have a December W/T tag. Lesson learned, but still no regrets. Thanks for reading!

post-8706-0-78878500-1408990371_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

If rather shoot a 60 inch buck archery than a rifle 100 inch but that's just me

• Like 1

Great shot. What will you do with that tag?

AWESOME!!!! Congrats and thanks for sharing the story with the site!

Maybe consider donating your Dec tag to HOAL????

S.

:)