Deserve2beworked

6A RATTLESNAKE CANYON Quiet Area

First, thanks for your advice on this website. Much appreciated. Going into the final week! Pressure is on. I hate deadlines when hunting. Am thinking of taking one of the last days and hiking in and around Rattlesnake Quiet Area. Got to be a horny bull in there. I got bit once by a timber rattler and the treatment wasn't much fun. Are rattlers a serious, moderate, or not, a concern in the Rattlesnake Canyon Quiet Area this time of year? Since I got bit, rattlers tend to seek me out. Is it all its name implies?

I'm 40 years old and have been hunting in Arizona's high country since I was 8. In that time I have only seen 1 rattlesnake in the woods. Odds are long to come across a rattler but not impossible. Honestly the thought never even crosses my mind when in that country. Go get your bull and forget about the buzz worms! What are the odds of lightning striking the same place twice?

• Like 1

The bulls don't bugle much in the quiet area.FYI, you might no hear much.

• Like 4

Not much going on there right now. Pretty quiet. Haven't seen a snake yet. Lots of rain the last few days.

Ive seen several ratters in there over the years.

This year, Ive seen 6 alone. Not in Rattlesnake Canyon, but high country AZ.

• Like 1

Ran into one during the OTC deer hunt this year, just a little black rattlesnake. First one I have ran into for many years, be more worried of the big bad bears.

• Like 1

I came in from the East on Monday mornng and man was it quiet. Way quieter than anyplace I had hunted to date. I have heard great things, but if the bulls are talking elsewhere, I will be hunting elsewhere.

Might give it one more try later in the week, maybe come in from the North this time. SOme of the canyons look like fantastic country though.

Unfortunately, people seem to forget that there is more than one way to hunt bulls in the rut. Chasing bugles and cow calling/bugling your head off at them will, in time (whether its short or long) push them. Granted, it sometimes makes the hunt easier, but the easiest way out isn't always the most effective. For the excitement factor, when it does work, nothing beats it.