Coues assassin

Is this someone baiting? (Pictures)

Yesterday while hiking to set up cameras in a new area I had never been to I stumbled upon this. Saw Lots of bear sign in the area (southern az unit). Looked like buckets used for baiting but not sure what do you guys think?

post-11647-0-71835700-1412018911_thumb.jpgpost-11647-0-38373600-1412018928_thumb.jpgpost-11647-0-42256100-1412018949_thumb.jpg

the top pic below the bucket looks like some kind of bread? if that is the case, it would be a dead giveaway. the bucket and wire though looks more like something someone would use for some type of vegetation study? maybe?

the top pic below the bucket looks like some kind of bread? if that is the case, it would be a dead giveaway. the bucket and wire though looks more like something someone would use for some type of vegetation study? maybe?

It's not bread, but I too thought some kind of vegetation study. But it was in a creek so I was confused

Grow!!! Take youre side arm next time you go in there!!

• Like 2

There was a metal cage inside the bucket also I didn't get a picture of I will have to take a picture when I go pick up the cams. Maybe I will get some foot traffic on the cameras and we will find out!!

• Like 1

Drilled holes in a bucket are great for water release so plant roots do not asphyxiate and kill a growing plant. Metal cages protect young seedlings from herbivores that might otherwise eat them. If it was experimental, tags would have been attached to the buckets with contact information. It all adds uo to trouble in my book. Be careful.

This is good to know the buckets were in good shape did not look to be very old at all. It's sitting in water and the label is still very readable so it's fresh! Well my cameras will catch anyone coming back!