Sign in to follow this  
Stallone A.

Need Help with choosing .243 or 7mm-08 Remington/Savage or Ruger???

I got my son the savage 7mm-08 with accutrigger when he started hunting at 9. Its been a great rifle with very little recoil. I put on a limbsaver pad and its like shooting a bb gun. Very accurate. Hes taken elk, oryx, deer, javalina with it. Hes now 16 and still uses it. I have taken it on coues hunts for the weight alone. Very light. Best of luck!! Jake

Don't get the original Axis. Get the new Axis II. You can find it on buds for like $341 with a scope. Unlike the original Axis, the Axis II has the Accutrigger, which is a HUGE difference from the very heavy trigger used on the Axis. You're probably seeing the original Axis on sale because they're trying to clear them out.

I thought that was the case, but I couldn't find anything on the axis and accutrigger. I probably didn't look hard enough. Yeah definitely go with the Axis II if not going for the Trophy Hunter. If you end up going Savage...I'll be interested to see what you choose and what you think of it since I'll be in the same boat next year.

I bought the original savage axis in 243 without the scope. My plan was to let my daughters boyfriends who wanted to get into hunting use it. I had hoped to be able to buy a box of 100 grain core lokts at walmart and send them out the door with it. Who cares if they scratched the tupperware it is stocked with. Doesn't like 100 grain factory loads. It shoots 87 grain Sierras really good though. The trigger is really stiff. Pretty good buy overall for 3 bills.

I bought a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 for my daughter. Great all around caliber, very accurate with a sweet trigger.

The only limitation that I don't like on the Axis II is that, so far, they only offer the youth model in .243. I'd love to see them offer it in .223 and 7mm08. It may be in the works, but they haven't made it available as of yet.

Pretty good advise so far.

My opinion would be to get him a 270 WIN. That was my first centerfire and I still use it from time to time because it's a light and proven rifle. Mine is a Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker that has a 19" barrel with a BOSS and likely has 1500 rounds through it over 25 years. Even as a young kid, I could manage the recoil and comfortably carry it wherever I went. As for Remington or Savage, I would go with Remington.

• Like 1

My opinion would be to get him a 270 WIN. That was my first centerfire and I still use it from time to time because it's a light and proven rifle. Mine is a Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker that has a 19" barrel with a BOSS and likely has 1500 rounds through it over 25 years. Even as a young kid, I could manage the recoil and comfortably carry it wherever I went. As for Remington or Savage, I would go with Remington.

Just wondering why you pick the Remington over the savage? All my guns are Remington however a lot of people are leaning me towards the savage axis II?

Just wondering why you pick the Remington over the savage? All my guns are Remington however a lot of people are leaning me towards the savage axis II?

Just a personal preference. Most of the shooters I've been around make jokes about Savage being cheap and tacky. That's just opinion a far as I'm concerned. Like you, I have heard a lot of good things about them. I also talk to talented gunsmiths that will build a custom Savage for someone and make it sound like the greatest thing ever, so I can respect that too. I have 3 model 700's and 2 of those are custom jobs. Remington has always been a personal favorite of mine, and no matter what I hear about Savage, I can't bring myself to buy one. Lots of people may say the same about Remington.

Thanks everybody for your comments and input. A buddy of mine just length me a Salvage model 99 in .243 to try and also a Browning in 7-08.

Going to take him shooting tomorrow for his B-day after school. I will have him choose the caliber that he likes. I still have not chosen a Brand but when I do I will be sure to let you all know.

I can't wait to see the look on his face once he gets to shoot a caliber bigger than the 22-250 that he is use to shooting.

Thanks again everybody...

I just went to Cabelas with my daughter(2.5yrs old) today to compare brands. I have to say I tried out the Remington 700 and 770. I did not like the 770, it did not feel as smooth as the 700 IMO. I also looked at both Savages Axis and Axis II. The Axis II did have a better trigger however the Savage action was not as nice as the Remington 700 IMO. It was better than the 770 I have to say. Then I tried the Ruger American it was nice for the money but I think I would rather buy the Savage. So I did not stop there I had to try out 2 other models that I did not consider first the Browning, I did like the smoothness of the action but felt a little heavy. The last rifle I tried was the Tika T3 light and Ultra Light. All I have to say is WOW… The action and trigger on this gun is very nice. Both guns are light however the ultra light would be the perfect gun if it did not have a price tag of $799 on Sale. I think overall the best gun would be the Tika T3 light for $549. I know its probably $200 more than the Savage axis and Remington 770 and about $120 more than the Savage AxisII or Remington 700 but I think its worth the extra money. I have to take into consideration that this rifle will be passed down to all my kids and hopefully for generations to come. I believe in spending a little more now and probably in the long run it will pay for itself (lightness, action, trigger and we will see with accuracy).

I am so happy to have had everybody write their opinions on brands and caliber's. Writing this has helped me choose the right rifle for my son's 10 B-day, I hope this can help another father trying to decide what rifle to choose for their child.

I still have not chosen a caliber but hopefully by tonight we will have one all picked out.

I will let you all know how it goes. Both boys are excited to try out the .243 and 7mm-08. (Thanks to Mr. H…)

My daughter will have to wait a few years to shoot however today at Cabelas she got to look at all of them...

• Like 1

Happy birthday to your son. There is no better gun than someone's first hunting rifle. Especially later on when he remembers all the great hunts he went on with dad!!

My boys both shoot a Weatherby Vangaurd 7mm-08. Both have dropped Elk in the tracks at 200+ yards. Im not very technical when it comes to Gun specifics, as the trigger feels good to them, they like the adjustable stock and feel very comfortable shooting the gun. We put a Vortex Viper HS on it and they love it. The scope is overkill I am sure for a gun of this type, but. Got a great deal on the scope.

My boys both shoot a Weatherby Vangaurd 7mm-08. Both have dropped Elk in the tracks at 200+ yards. Im not very technical when it comes to Gun specifics, as the trigger feels good to them, they like the adjustable stock and feel very comfortable shooting the gun. We put a Vortex Viper HS on it and they love it. The scope is overkill I am sure for a gun of this type, but. Got a great deal on the scope.

a good scope is never over kill. The bullet can only fly where your able to see.

just my 2 cents worth

I would rather a kid shoot a elk with a 243 than use a 7mm-08 with a muzzle break and without earplugs. i have killed some real big critters with regular old 100 grain core lok 243 so im sure ya can load pretty fancy. i have a 7-08 but yes it does kick more than 243. im wondering how kiddos like that savage 99 in 243 cuz my sav 99 in 300 sav hardly kicks.. so from this we learn every gun delivers recoil little differently. youth models not always so gr8! Regular guns heavier but how often does a kid shoot free hand standing? All gr8 calibers discussed and with reduced recoil ammo out even for 243's im sure more and more kiddos and women will be joing our sport! :)

Does the Tikka T3 even come in a youth model? Would a full sized T3 fit your 10 year old? If you're worried about the cost of getting another gun later, then don't. People buy used youth models that have been well care in a heartbeat. You shouldn't have any problem recouping 80% or more of your investment to apply towards a larger gun when the time is right.

Also consider the fact that your soon to be 10 year old will probably outgrow the gun not too long before your 2.5 year old is ready to take it on. There's a good chance that you're going to need two rifles in the next six years either way.

I have a Tikka T3 in 7-08 for my 10 year old. He is probably slightly taller than the average 10 year old. He handles the rifles fine. It is a light weight riffle so he can carry it without problems. Doesn't seem to have any problems shooting it either. I hesitate to buy a youth model rifle that will likely be outgrown a couple of years after they start hunting.

guns last a long time. get a good one. fit matters where recoil is concerned. i would get a youth 243 either a vanguard or rem 700. the tikka is a great gun too. does he have an elk or deer tag???

• Like 1