bowfishAZ

2014 "Plan-E" Buck down!!

After the 2013 deer season, it was my turn to have first choice of which buck I wanted to kill for the 2014 deer season. My buddy Justin (gotcoues) and I were back at it glassing, filming bucks and running cameras. We drew our first choice rifle tags and we were pumped.

Early august rolled around and we layed eyes on a buck that I knew I was going to want to stay on and hunt. Other than him, we had some great bucks on camera which I decided not to hunt in the archery season so Justin took advantage of it and killed a great buck that goes 102 and change. Two days later, Dillion, Justins boy, killed a nice 2pt buck. Complete spot and stalk! This kid is a killer!!

Justin's archery buck

post-5424-0-05708200-1414593113_thumb.jpg

Dillon's spot and stalk coues buck

post-5424-0-38429300-1414593182_thumb.jpg

Elk season came quick and having an early archery bull tag I knew I was going to miss 3-4 weekends of watching deer and would really have to rely on our cameras. I finally killed my bull on the 11th day of the hunt and rushed back out to see what these bucks were doing.

With the hunt coming fast and not much time left to scout, I made my mind up after a 2 day backpack scouting trip of where I would hunt. We had a good plan and a good buck pretty well figured out. Thursday the 23rd, at about 3pm, Justin and I were talking about the big buck from August and that's when plans changed! We called this "PLAN-E." We hadn't seen the big buck since August but we knew he lived there and he was well worth putting all time and effort into.

Friday morning we were very optimistic. We sat in our glass till about 11am only to find a handful of does, 80" buck and a mid 90's type buck. We knew it was only opening morning but still had that discouraged feeling. We knew we needed a different angle. After splitting a beef stroganoff mountain house and a few hour treacherous hike we were looking at the other side of the ridge. It wasn't till around 4 that the first deer was spotted. I started to look at a ridge that I had already been over a couple times and that's when I started telling Justin "I got bucks I got bucks, dude it's a good buck!!" I show Justin where the bucks are as I start getting my rangefinder out and gun ready. Justin tells me "he's a good buck hurry up and get in the gun he's broadside!" I range the buck and he was 465 yards, I start to punch in the numbers into strelok for the MOA correction and realize the elevation wasn't right. I kind of freak out because I couldn't find where I go to enter the elevation. After getting everything set my number was 3.6 so I twist my turret to 3.5. I double checked with Justin that he was on the buck and ears plugged. He said good. I zoomed in on the buck, took a breath, felt calm as ever and the gun went off. "He's down. Dropped like a sack of rocks!" Justin told me. After a short celebration we knew we had to get land marks and get moving so we could get to the buck with some daylight left. We got over to him after about a 45 minute hike and I was pumped. I knew he was going to be my new biggest buck. He wasn't the big one that we were looking for but I wasn't going to be able to let him walk. We taped him at 107 5/8"
post-5424-0-15570900-1414556845_thumb.jpg
post-5424-0-95523400-1414556869_thumb.jpg
post-5424-0-26560600-1414556885_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

That's a gorgeous typical coues whitetail. It'd be really hard to pass up a buck like that. Congrats!

• Like 1

That buck looks fantastic, great job!

• Like 1

Great write up, that's a hellava write up for a "3 sentence plan". I'm pumped for you brother, awesome buck for sure and impressive shooting in the heat of the moment! Ready, set, go..... I just want to do it all over again

• Like 1

WOW. Nice Buck! Did you take pictures after the hike out? I'll bet you were BEAT! Congrats.

• Like 1