Sign in to follow this  
POB

Favorite coyote gun??

I'm thinking about getting into coyote killing, so tell me your favorite coyote gun/cal, and why. Thanks.

My favorite right now is a ruger m77 mark 2 in .204 ruger. Zero recoil. Flat as can be. Dumps coyotes where they stand. My wife has dropped a couple of javelinas with it too. Very accurate little round. The wind bothers the bullets at further distances but not much more than most other varmint calibers. It's just really fun to shoot. You can't really go wrong with any varmint caliber though really. You're pretty much limited to coyotes and smaller though a.243 or 22-250 could be used as a double duty gun for big game if necessary. Can't go wrong with a good ol .223 either.

• Like 1

250 Savage. Accept no substitutes. If you like fast and flat you can run 70-75gr bullets at 3600 fps or load the 115 berger and use it for everything. I have moved away from smaller calibers for coyotes I always had to many runners. They don't run from the 250.

Depends on the stand, and conditions.

Usual gun is a Bushmaster Varminter in .223. Shoots 50 V-max @ 3400fps or 69SMK @ 3033fps. Also took a javelina for my daughter with the 69SMK. The V-max are a much better coyote round out to 500 yards though. Explosive.

Sometimes use a Ruger M77 in .22-250. Shoots a 53SMK at 3700fps.

If the shots are expected to be longer, I go to a heavier round.

Rem 700 in .250 Ackley shooting a 100 SMK has done the trick out past 1300 yards once.

Rem 700 in .25-06 Ackley shooting 115 Berger VLDs has worked well too.

Also a 12ga w. 3" #4 buck works wonders up close.

A 300 wm shooting 110gr V-max.

I love a good ole 22-250....55 grain bullet works as it was intended....but I would have to say my Armalite...its dropped more dogs than I can recall....

Baikal over and under, .223 and 12 gauge using #4 buckshot. Got it all covered with this setup, killed coyotes at 5ft out to 200yds with the same gun. Picked it up at Lookout Mountain Outfitters on Cave Creek and Bell for a great price.

22-250 for many years.....don't claim to be any varmint slayer just enjoyed the gun....but....since my boy built me a Rem. .17 I have certainly enjoyed using it.....it screams out there and puts a well.... .17 hole with no exit and so far no lost dogs.....

Anything I can shoot them with! If I don't have a gun or bow I will throw rocks!

• Like 3

I've got a remington 700 in .243 with a 20" barrel. It's a pretty handy rifle with the short barrel. Also 12 Guage with no. 4 buck for close quarters.

If you need a multipurpose gun it is really hard to beat a .243.

If you have the $ for a specific gun for yotes then the .204 or 22-250 maybe that hot rod .17 but I have no experience with that one.

Anything I can shoot them with! If I don't have a gun or bow I will throw rocks!

Ha ha ha funny thing is I have thrown rocks and hit it on the skip. Lucky for me I had a block wall to sneak up on him to even throw the rock.

I want a 22-250 but for right now I use my .270' for everything. I just keep the same load.

• Like 1