Sign in to follow this  
az_shooter

Oct. Rifle Hunts 2 for 2

A little late but here they are, not much of a story for you guys. We scouted hard before the hunt and found a few decent bucks and one big buck. watched him for about two weeks before the hunt and by the time opening morning came around we were pretty confident in killing that big buck we found. We hunted hard for five days and on day two my friend shot a different buck after glassing him up at noon and watching him bed and kept eyes on him for over three hours waiting for him to get up. this was one of the bucks we found while scouting and didn't pay much attention to him but after seeing him opening morning and on the second afternoon, my friend just couldn't lay off of him, he killed him with my rifle at 720 yards on the second shot and I couldn't be happier for him, his biggest Coues to date.

post-6017-0-77320100-1415126053_thumb.jpg

Even though my friend had killed his buck already, he was right back on the hill with me Sunday morning to try and get that big buck killed. We had seen him Friday and Saturday morning but we were in no position to make a shot and that buck would be gone after 20 minutes of sun light and would never come back out for the rest of the day. He would go bed in some super steep and thick country and would stay in there all day, never being able see him much less shoot him when he was in there. So on Sunday morning we pushed all the way into a small opening on a hill side where we could get a shot before he disappeared for the day. Well the script played out just how we wanted it to and we found the buck before sun up at 440 yards and I had only a limited opening between trees to get the job done. Well, I didn't, I shot at him three times between 440 and 490 yards and missed every shot just inches over his back, I was too excited and wasn't calm behind the rifle. I ran him off and never saw him again after that, by far the biggest buck I've ever shot at. After not seeing him for a couple days and my friend having to go back to work I was on my own and in a new spot. On the fifth evening of the hunt I glassed up this buck at 490 yards, the same distance as my last shot I missed on that buck a couple days ago. By the time i got all set up he was 505 yards out and I let it fly, hit him on the first shot and he ran about 35 yards before he tumbled and expired. Thankfully my friend got off work early and was able to help me pack him out that night but he wasn't there when I made the shot.

post-6017-0-78337200-1415127578_thumb.jpg

Thanks for checking this out and good luck to everyone who will be out for round two of Coues deer this coming Friday.

• Like 2

Its cool to see you pattern that buck like that even though it didnt work out. There will be more that happen that way and most of us here have missed bruisers before. Anyways, it goes to show what hard work and time in the hills can do for you and know what to expect. Even better that it was a DIY hunt.... Congrats on the bucks.

• Like 1

Congratulations on both your bucks and for sharing your hunt with us. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Thank you guys for all the comments.

Wayno - yes they did, they worked just fine, thank you.

DAS - I'm shooting a 300 WIN MAG on a Remington 700 action with 208gr Hornady Amax bullets.

Couple nice bucks there.

Congrats to both you and your buddy on two great bucks.