capoeirajosh

Scouting during rifle hunts

With all the pics of deer hitting the ground, it is getting me pretty pumped for this coming archery season. I would really like to get out and do some more scouting, but am concerned about scouting during the rifle hunts. I would hate to ruin or interfere with someone else's hunt. Do you guys scout during the rifle hunts? Am I being too nice? Haha. Normally, I will wait until the season is over to get out, but that doesn't leave much time to get out before our season starts.

Scout when you can. Why would you not?

For reasons mentioned above. That's true. Maybe, I am just being too thoughtful, haha.

I do a lot of scouting without a lot of walking by sitting in one spot and glassing out past 1.5 miles, just keep eyes open for others.

• Like 4

I am hunting a new area this year and have been out the last two weekends, as time allows. I have used Google Earth but I have also been doing quite a bit of glassing close to the road and spoke to a few other groups of hunters I met while driving around.

I'll be out again this weekend but it's tough because the first hunt in the Unit started on 10/10 and there is a hunt every other weekend for 6 weeks before our hunt at the end of the month. I just try to stay out of an area if I can see there is another hunter or a vehicle around which is not always easy to do as some people either road hunt or hike a mile or three in.

I stay out of the area during others hunts. Wouldn't want someone interfering with my hunt, so I won't risk it with theirs.

• Like 4

Scout when you can. Why would you not?

To clarify my post I sure don't mean drive around looking at waterholes at first light, or busting canyons. 99% of my scouting is like Elkhunter1 said, behind my glasses. You can see where there might be other hunters and where they aren't.

• Like 2

I Scout a lot throughout the year sometimes Are other hunt going on. most of my scouting is done glassing the areas I intend to hunt anyway I've never interrupted anybody's hUnt on the occasion I am scouting and see other hunters and I find the game they are looking for I would always let them know

It's fine as long as you are respectfull of other hunters. If you know there is a hunter in the area I would try to stay far away. If you use sound judgment and a little common sence you should be fine.

I do a lot of scouting without a lot of walking by sitting in one spot and glassing out past 1.5 miles, just keep eyes open for others.

+1 on this. Perfect time to break out the big glass and a nice comfy camp chair. Also probably a good opportunity to learn about escape routes if there's some rifle guys pushing them around. People tend to think that when spooked deer just run off. That may be the case occasionally, but the last three I've blood trailed never left the deer trails even when mortally wounded.

I personally wouldn't do it only because If im going to a area to hunt and I see someone im leaving and going somewhere else. it would suck to find out that the person I seen on that other mountain was just scouting. that's just me. so in the end its up to you.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I feel that you are fine, but go out of my way to stay out of other hunters hunt as best I can.

I was just scouting a few weeks ago for my wifes elk hunt that starts tomorrow, was going down a dirt road before light that has a dirt tank just ahead of me. There was a deer hunt going on. As I got closer to the tank as I drove, I noticed that up ahead on the hill overlooking the tank someone was blinking their flashlight at me, apparently indicating that they were there/would be hunting the water/area. I turned my truck right around and went to another area.

• Like 2

I scout when I can. I wouldn't go park next to someone and walk out into their area if theyre already there of course. some of you guys have too much time off or something.

Scout whenever life allows you to get into the mountains, just have common sense.