Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

Tips on buying a used rifle

I have my eye on a used Remington 700 bdl in 7mm rem mag. Other than the obvious things one would look for, is there anything else in particular? Is there a rule of thumb as to quality of the barrel etc?

I always look at the heads of the screws/bolts to see how bugered up they are. Most people just take any old screw driver to the screws and it usually tells you if someone has had the rifle apart. Then I ask why? Someone professionally would use the right screwdriver size and not buger it up. If it's wood look for cracks, they can be hard to see sometimes

Also look for rust or pitting

Look for rust under the barrel, but most importantly, in the scope screw heads, most people don't wipe those out after being in the rain.

Pull the bolt and look down the barrel for obvious signs of neglect. Check for smooth operation of bolt. Check for wear on bolt lugs. Check action to stock contact at rear for any signs of loose action bolts while firing.

If the guy is honest, he will tell you approximate round count if he knows.

Look up the serial # here... http://www.hotgunz.com/ to ensure it is not stolen.

• Like 1

All good advice!

Check the crown and throat as well for any nicks. You really can't check the bore too well without a scope or seeing how it shoots. Take a bright flashlight with you or you can't see nothing...

Take a friend so you don't miss something due to your excitement about getting a rifle, works well for buying a car.

Good luck!

• Like 3

The rifle is at the corner gun store in my neighborhood. Been there a few weeks now. I just check on it every now and then and keep squirreling away a little money. It seems really nice on the outside has a cheapo scope which Ill ask them to take off as a bargaining tool. If it lasts I may just buy it for myself for a secret santa gift.

For the most part Remingtons have always been a good gun right out of the box with very few quality issuses and the BDL is a nice rifle.

There were some rifles that were recalled because of potential trigger/safety problems and you should be able to go to Remingtons website and get a list of serial numbers and see if this particular rifle is on it. Then it's just a matter of sending it back for repair which you could have the gunshop do for you.

One other thing that I personally look for is the last four serial numbers etched into the bolt and see if if matches with the number on the receiver, always had one that did, but if it didn't I would surely pass on it.

Check wear on bolt lugs and raceway. Looking down the barrel you really need a bore scope to be able to see anything. Good luck hope you get her.

Cosmetics can often be a good indicator of how the gun was treated. But the real danger is what you cannot see - the throat. If it is damaged or worn, it will never shoot accurately. And isn't that the point of owning a rifle in the first place? Replacing the barrel can cost you as much as what you paid for the entire rifle. Custom barrels run $300 to $400, plus $250 to $300 for the gunsmithing (chambering, threading, crowning, headspacing).

Most gunsmiths have a bore scope and they will usually check out the throat area for a nominal fee. Bruno's (near Deer Valley airport) does it for $10. Most gun stores will allow you a two or three day inspection and return period - as long as the rifle has not been fired. Just tell them what you want to do. On a worst case basis, pay for the rifle and have them keep the bolt until you return.

If the rifle is a real bargain, then condition of throat may not matter. If it is a shooter, then keep it. If it doesn't shoot well, the complete action with bottom metal is usually worth $450 to $475 by itself, The wood stock may bring $50 if it is in good shape.