Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Drones for scouting????

I looked around but didn't find any topics on this. I was reading in a predator magazine and it said that Alaska banned drones for hunts. i totally agree with that and I don't know what AZ stances is on this. I would be in favor to ban drones for hunting but what about for scouting on non hunting days or even a week before any hunt starts? What do you guys think of those?. From what I hear they are only a few hundred bucks and I could understand how that could give some good Ariel view to find that water source. I don't know! Food for thought? At the same time we have done good with out them.

I'm actually surprised they havn't caught on more. I'm sure there are guys using them. Seems to me it would fall under the same rules as flying during a hunt but who knows.

Never thought of using them for scouting..........sounds like a great idea! I don't see how its much different than someone putting out a trail cam. I want one.

I went on YouTube to see if there are any vids on hunting. There were some. Some deer we're curious and some just flat out was running. I can see the advantage of this but I also seen deer harassment already on you tube. Plus PETA were using it to spy on hunters in a couple vids. Definitely during hunting season a band for sure.

I'm afraid the game laws won't be able to keep up with technology. Given what some of the high rollers are willing to pay for a trophy, I don't think we're too far off from seeing military technology trickling into hunting. Drones, thermal, it's all becoming mainstream, and has the potential to wreck hunting, IMO.

• Like 2

I've been meaning to post this, but now seems like a good opportunity to add to this thread since it was started. A coworker of mind is leaving his position in the aerospace industry to pursue backcountrydrones.com.

• Like 1

I'm afraid the game laws won't be able to keep up with technology. Given what some of the high rollers are willing to pay for a trophy, I don't think we're too far off from seeing military technology trickling into hunting. Drones, thermal, it's all becoming mainstream, and has the potential to wreck hunting, IMO.

That's true. But as hunters, and ethically minded sportsman, all we have to do is, "Just say no". There is already too much spying,and surveillance in this country. The great outdoors is a place to get away from all of that.

• Like 4

What's the difference between glassing and using a drone? I really don't see an advantage to using a drone, but that's just my opinion. A few months ago I had the opportunity to fly one and there was no way you could spot animals using it unless they were right out in the open. The guy who owned it said he paid $4k for it and I was not real impressed with the camera quality. It would be fun to fly over and spy on the neighbors, but seemed useless for hunting. I would assume you would have to spend some big bucks ($10k-$100k), for anything that would actually be worth while.

That backpack video drone seemed cool. When your scouting and looking for a water source just pop that drone out and go up and over that ridge that would of taken you 30 minutes to get to and check it out there. If it looks good head on over. It would make it real easy on the boots just like Glassing.

I went on YouTube to see if there are any vids on hunting. There were some. Some deer we're curious and some just flat out was running. I can see the advantage of this but I also seen deer harassment already on you tube. Plus PETA were using it to spy on hunters in a couple vids. Definitely during hunting season a band for sure.

It's always hunting season.

It was a beautiful fall morning in the mountains. I was perched high on a ridge, glassing the far side of the canyon in the growing light. I could make out the forms of 3 nice bucks feeding their way along the hillside. A noise coming up the canyon caught my attention. It was an obnoxious whirring sound. I could see the black drone flying up the canyon, and of coarse it had a go-pro camera attached. The Bucks jerked their heads up and looked towards the source of the noise, and then they bolted. Seeking escape over the ridge line.

My morning hunt had just been ruined by some jackwagon hunter with a drone. Someone who didn't have the fortitude to get out in the hills and use their eyes, and feet to find the game. God forbid if someone actually had to do a little leg work, and earn their kill without the aid of flying machines.

As the drone hovered around the canyon, I jacked a round into the chamber, took aim, and slowly pulled the trigger.......

You just can't please some folks.

• Like 7

Doesn't bother me either way as long as they are not flying around during the hunt. For scouting.....pffffft....could not care less

• Like 2