Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Drones for scouting????

Technology is crazy. Maybe some day the deer will just come to my house climb in my freezer and commit suicide so I don't even have to hunt

Gonna use a spear this year to fill your deer tag? Maybe just a rock?

No that would be stupid. I mostly archery hunt, they date back to 9,000 b.c.

• Like 1

I use technology in all my hunts - from google earth and GPS to high end optics. I've learned more from getting out and hiking, studying game trails, watching clouds for weather patterns and how animals respond to dropping or rising atmospheric pressure than I have from tech tools.

The problem is, when technology replaces woodsmanship.

I find my most rewarding hunts are those when I get to a place I don't know, have a look around and start trying to think like the animal I'm hunting. Where does it sleep, where does it eat, where does it find water and where does it go when pressure increases?

If I could pay to have all those questions answered without learning the answers on my own, I'd question why I was there in the first place.

• Like 1

I get a kick out those that say tech is ruining hunting as they drive to their spot in their new $50,000 turbo charged diesel pickup with integrated GPS navigation system and heated leather seats then sit down to glass a ridge with their HD optics and shoot their buck/bull with a CAD engineered VLD bullet that is powered by modern, extruded smokeless powder and use 20X power rifle scope that sits on a rifle with a synthetic stock and epoxy bedding.

Then, when the "hunt" is over for the day they retreat to their 18' 5th wheel trailer with satellite TV and microwave to "rough it" for the night.

I know of no one, of any age or any financial class that does not use tech when hunting, fishing etc. Hats off if you do.

• Like 1

It's not a matter of using "Too much technology". It is a matter of using technology that many feel doesn't belong in the outdoors. All of my technology stays on my person. I don't strap it to a tree, or attach propellers to it.

• Like 3

Never baited, or used a camera. I do use 15's and a range finder occasionally. Thats fair enough for me. And when its hot I use water holes. Call me old fashioned. I still get it done...........BOB! ......Forgot ,I drive a 08 F150 , cost 16k.

What is the latest hot drone made today?

Phantom vision plus 2

Hunting is about so much more then just the kill of the trophy animal, even tho that is what most of us are after. Technology needs to be limited in some expects of life. Scouting is enjoyable, good excercise, time with family, friends etc. Time to observe nature. The rich guys don't get it. What skill is involved in saying found it with a drone while sitting in truck with heater going drinking coffee. Really. Ban them!

• Like 1

When glassing or hanging a trail camera etc your out there getting the experience. A plane or drone is just being lazy! Hope the trophy books do not allow entry if the harvest was drone assisted!

I enjoy the peace and quite when in the field. I don't want a little machine buzzing around. The most I can see them being used for is perhaps a live time look around from elevation. A map and google earth are better for actual scouting. I'd bet most here use google earth. Isn't using a satellite in space for scouting using technology?

After google earthing it. You still have scout. Your getting out there. Not using a machine to find your trophy, drive close , shoot, retrieve and go home. Idk, seems a lazy way to me, plus missing out on the real experience.

This thread got me motivated to dig out my old p.o.s. recurve and start playing with it again. After about a week of garage shooting, I can tell you for certain that I dont need any technology at all to kill a deer. The only thing I do need is for a garage door size deer to stand perfectly still broadside at 12 yards or less.

• Like 2

I am all for it!! Soon I will be able to fly a drone and put out a 1000 cameras that send back pictures of the giant I am gonna shoot with a 1400 yd shot from my 75k truck while I sit my fat a$$ in a comfy couch and brag on the Internet about how bad a$$ I am at hunting and that you all should be like me!!! Woooooohoooooo look at me!!!!!!!!!

Very tongue and cheek guys!!!

• Like 1