Sign in to follow this  
Sneaker

Asking for a progress pic?

I'm waiting to get my elk back from the Taxi. My first ever mount... I was the second bull into their shop this year since I was done at first light on the opener of the archery. Bull is supposed to be done within the next month or so.

Do Taxidermists just find it annoying if customers ask for a mid mount progress pic, or is that not a problem and something they do all the time? I'm sure they get calls and emails all the time being asked when the eta is, and where progress is at, and have to get annoyed with that part of the job. I just think it would be sweet to have a progress pic for reference and the memory, and I'm just excited to see what its actually going to look like. Do any taxis send progress picks just as part of their standard operating procedures if the customers wish? That would be kind of cool

What do you guys think on the subject?

Thanks,

Ty

post-8768-0-23915700-1418255091_thumb.jpg

post-8768-0-86279600-1418255485_thumb.jpg

Usually the taxidermist starts and finishes the mount within a few weeks. Most of the time is waiting for cape to come back from tannery and form that is ordered, others before you (deer antelope etc)...So unless he has already started the process there will be nothing to take a picture of...

Also most people in general don't like having their work seen unfinished. Like an artist half way through a sculpture.

That being said I often have my taxidermist send me a picture if we have questions on pose or form.

• Like 4

3 months???? He must have tanned the hide himself? Average turn around time is 9-12 months. Most taxidermists wait until they get enough hides to send them all to the tannery at the same time.

If your hide is not back from the tannery he has not started on your mount yet.

Everything I have ever had mounted, which is not much, has taken no less than a year.

Guys, the turnaround is not the question here. It's Mount N View in Flag, not some no name Joe. They know what they are doing.

• Like 1

Guys, the turnaround is not the question here. It's Mount N View in Flag, not some no name Joe. They know what they are doing.

not critisizing at all thats great.

The guy we used for my dad's Ohio buck guarantees 3 months or less on a shoulder mount. And others will do it in two for $300 and the mounts are amazing! I never understood why it took so long out here.

Wow, I wonder if I should call chris, he has had a deer of mine for over five months...

I would think most taxidermists/artists would love to show or explain the process and show you at any point.As an artist myself I love to explain the process,the how and why,esp. to the youngsters.It is always amazing how fascinated people are who have a genuine interest in what you are doing and perhaps hopefully inspire them towards a career in the arts.A gift isn't a gift unless its shared. I just spent an hour with my taxidermist today after dropping off my coues in october and I learned a couple of new things that will help me and I just dropped in on him. If someone is under the gun and the pressure is on they will let you know.In that case no problem,time is valuable.

Chris has texted me progress pictures before. I don't think he would have a problem doing that for you.

My taxi's have sent me pics before. They know my expectations going into it. You shouldn't hesitate to call and request them or ask if you can take them yourself.

side note - never heard of that type of turn around time. I would at least ask about where they are tanning the cape unless it not important to you. Bad tan = long term issues.