Sign in to follow this  
tytanner

Stolen cam

they aren't stealing them to use them...it might be a perk....They take them cause they don't want you learning something in their "honey hole"

Never thought of that angle I guess. That makes it even worse.

• Like 1

Outlaw cameras on public land and these issues go away!!!! Just saying

• Like 4

Outlaw camera's on public land. What the heck? Must be Obama Supporter.

Far from it amigo! Look at all the drama that is caused by cameras. We will read a story some day about an incident where someone gets hurt or killed over a camera or a spot where a camera is and then changes will be made anyway. Every year it gets worse! Not gonna get into a back and forth on this cause I'm not gonna change your mind and you won't change mine. Happy hunting and be safe out there!!

• Like 2

I also get frustrated finding cameras in some of my remote spots that formerly I never saw other hunters. It is disappointing. Having said that I get great enjoyment and exercise maintaining six cameras as "an old geezer" and would be very sad if they were outlawed. I do not view cameras as much of an advantage as other technology advances such as the compound mechanical bows that can kill an animal +100 yards or scopes on muzzleloaders that make them lethal at 150-200 yards. IMHO these technology advantages would have to be outlawed before game cameras as they give a "shooting advantage" where game cameras only give a "location advantage". Pretty simple debate in my opinion....... but I'm sure it will be colorful.

• Like 2

Using this logic we should outlaw tree stands, blinds, hunting water sources, binoculars, camouflage, off road vehicles... on and on and on. All these give the Hunter "unfair" advantages or have caused some sort of disagreements.

Not to stir the pot anymore, but at what point is a trail cam or ground blind considered abandoned and left to rot?? Or even littering. There is a ground blind in the area I hunt that has been there since at least rifle deer season and probably much longer. Ive been in the area at least four days a week since the archery hunt started, and have never seen anyone in the area. It shows signs of sun damage. At what point can you take it, for the sake of just cleaning up the area?? Same with trail camera boxes. in the same area there are at least three trail cam boxes screwed to trees. If someone was to take them down just to clean up someone elses mess, would they be "that guy"?? Im not in anyway defending thieves, because I have had cams stolen, just curious what other hunters thoughts are

I am sure people have put things out and have had bad things happen, family , health , death etc. Im sure some items may never be picked up by the original owner.

Well unfortunately you can add me to the club of those that have had a trail camera stolen from them. I've had numerous cameras out for about 10 years now in unit #27 without a problem. Have had buddies complain of stolen cameras and tree stands in the unit though. Guess I have been "lucky" to-date. Yesterday I noticed someone had to have used bolt cutters to cut the heavy steel cord and lock I had on my camera. The camera even had my name on it. Disappointing to see how low hunter ethics seems to be going now. I'm assuming it was another hunter and not the rancher for the area or the USFS. Increasing trash in the forest and theft are very concerning trends in the forest these days. Like my son said whomever the dishonest person is........he likely will have bad luck hunting in the future. Unfortunately hunters, that formerly were the most honorable group of outdoor enthusiasts, have suddenly become people that can no longer be trusted!!!!!

Lets do this. Stop using cameras, commercial ground blinds, mechanical compound bows, scopes of all kinds or scopes with no power larger than 4x and go back 100 + years. You then have to use re-curve bows, and open sights. This stops the complaining and gives the animal a better chance.

Let's not.

Sorry Alpine, OP, and everyone who has had a camera stolen. We all know the risks of leaving our stuff out in the woods nowadays.