Sign in to follow this  
huntlines

2014 had it's ups and downs but finished with a bang

This year was full of ups and downs far more so than others. One of the lows was loosing a great friend to cancer. He was someone I hunted and camped with since I was around eight. He taught me a lot about the outdoors and hunting through the years. He was always wanting to know what I was drawn for or what my kids were drawn for so he could go. We enjoyed having him whenever he could make it because he was so fun to be around. For this post I will just refer to him as Bill.

My youngest daughter started it all off and was able to harvest her first coues with a bow during the September hunt which is posted on this site. My oldest daughter was able to harvest a coues deer with her rifle in November. My wife harvested her first big game animal only a few days before I did. Being with her during this hunt was something I just can't describe. We had a great time and when she took her two point with a rifle it was a moment I will never forget. When we were field dressing the buck she said "I just got the chills and thought about Bill, he was with us today". This put a lump in my throat.

I was waiting for the rut to really kick in and the signs of it recently were just starting to pick up. New years eve day came and I figured my son and I would go out and give it a try however he wasn't feeling well that morning and just wanted to sleep in. Not to mention he had his bow blow up while pulling back on a nice buck the week before. He said he just didn't feel comfortable with the bow he barrowed even after sighting it in. I was going only because I had taken the day off and it was after all the last day. The weather was miserable due to the high winds and cold temperatures. A storm was coming. I found a spot in a draw out of the wind and started seeing deer. A small three point was chasing a doe so I figured it might turn out to be a good rutting day despite the wind.

An hour later I noticed the same small three point chasing a doe and while I watched them something moved way out in the brush. When I was able to finally lay eyes on it I could make out it was a nice buck but not sure how nice. He was watching the smaller buck chasing the doe for a while. I figured any minute he would move in to run the little buck off giving me the chance to close in. However he turned raked a bush and walked away! That was odd. I decided to be patient and see what would happen. Moving around seemed to only succeed in spooking deer in the thick brush. An hour later a doe appeared from where the nice buck left. Figured he would be behind her but no. About five minutes after the first doe appeared another one appeared from the same direction. This time the nice buck was behind her and he was pushing her hard. Before I could nock an arrow and attach my release they were going by me. I drew and grunted stopping him about forty yards quartering away. I watched the white fletching disappear a little back but knew the angle would be good.

I sat there thinking of Bill and telling him thanks for coming along. I gave the buck a good hour just in case and after a short track I saw rack sticking up. I hope I get the chance to feel Bill's presence on many more hunts to come.

post-5532-0-17334100-1420150093_thumb.jpg

post-5532-0-08569800-1420219268_thumb.jpg

post-5532-0-26140700-1420748494_thumb.jpg

post-5532-0-87893600-1420748500_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Very nicely done, congratulations on a super buck and great write up. I'm sure Bill is very proud.

Great story and congratulations on your families success. Without question Bill is proud of your recent accomplishments. We all will miss Bill who was a great guy and pal.

Awesome!! Congrats on the excellent buck!!

Looks like a great buck to me!

Wow that's fantastic...

Heck of a buck!