Hoss50

Hunting near mining claim?

One of my potential javelina hunting spots is near a federal mining claim. The claim is posted but they doesn't appear to be active or heavily mined. There are few human or vehicle tracks on minimal signs of active mining. What is the protocol for hunting near this area? There are no buildings and this claim appears to be a weekend warrior miner at best.

Thanks

Harley

If it's public land, I would guess you are fine unless you jump his claim and start mining.

• Like 1

I have been lead to believe that they would consider you trespassing, and they laws are tough on claim trespassers. I was in a "club" for a mine claim with a friend, and you had to be screened and sign some heavy duty lawyered up contracts about what you could and could not do. I would investigate further.

I once javelina hunted on Picketpost Mountain near the black obsidian mine and had a crazy property guard run me down while waving a shotgun in the air. Needless so say, I don't hunt there any more. But, I did get back to back pigs there two years in a row!

You can hunt on any federal mining claim. They just hold mineral rights to mine and no other rights. If it is private land then they can run you off or shoot you but the white stakes for claims don't mean a thing regarding trespass or any other use of the land. Go for it.

• Like 3

What kind of mine is it. All mines r governed under MSHA and u will be in trouble. Especially big mines. If its one of the small ones might just get shot by a pissed off owner.

The mine is in the Bradshaws so I assume it is a gold mine claim. The only reason you can even tell the claim is there is the federal mining claim sign posted on a stake near a creekbed. There are no buildings that I could see, and there are no active signs of mining. There was only 1 set of tire tracks in and out. This appears to be a weekend warrior gold claim at best.

As said, they have mineral rights, that's it. The assumption that they have any more rights to the land is one of the many things wrong with this country.

On the Jonah field in WY, there are drilling rigs, work over rigs and active well sights everywhere. It's BLM so as long as you don't interfere with operations, damage equipment or put someone in danger you are legal to hunt. I've seen guys bowhunt pronghorn right between two drilling rigs that are only a half mile apart.

If miners have a different mentality, then maybe take it up with the agency giving them the permits. If it's BLM, a visit to your local BLM office should be able to tell you about the claim and what rights the owner has, etcetera.

If it is posted correctly then don't hunt it. If its not then hunt away. In az the landowner has the burden of posting correctly.

If it is posted correctly then don't hunt it. If its not then hunt away. In az the landowner has the burden of posting correctly.

If it is posted No Trespassing...it is posted incorrectly.

Mining rights only folks. Federal mining claims are only on public land.

• Like 2

Lance you are right! That's why I said correctly! There is a lot of confusion as to what correctly posted means. Reading the a.r.s laws will make it clear for everyone!

• Like 1

i dont know what kinda claims they are around arivaca but they just post you cant remove anything from them (im assuming gold/minerals/whatever they mine). no biggie.

Hunt them all day long, and don't sweat it.