SwampMafia

Draw conspiracy theories

So Ive heard a few different theories...

1. Apply last minute and your application is put on top and drawn.

2. Your odds of drawing with a paper application are higher than online.

3. Game and fish awards tags at a higher rate to new youth who complete hunter safety.

What are your thoughts? I'm not saying any of these are true... I don't know

My 11 year old daughter drew a bull elk tag last year with 2 points. I couldn't draw with 14. I think she slipped a photo of herself into her application, and G&F thought she was cuter than I am.

• Like 3

My daughter has drawn a late WT rifle tag the last 2 years at age 14 and 15. I did not put her through the hunter ed class. I guess number 3 is out the window!! ;)

My wife has been drawn for rifle bull 7 times since the year 2000. One of these was a trophy rut hunt. If you are a woman your name goes on top.

• Like 1

I think most know this, but none of those are true. They put everyone in a software, then it uses random number generators to assign you numbers for your bonus points. If you are the first or last person in the draw before it begins, or on the list, or entered into their draw system etc, you are just as likely to draw a low number( per bonus point) than anyone else. The programs don't know how to make exceptions, its whole purpose is to be exactly random and recognizes no attributes or history or favorites. Its all zeros and ones to the computer.

The only thing that causes you to be more likely to be drawn, statistically speaking, over your neighbor, is having more points, and therefore more chances at drawing the lower numbers when they are generated.

Its all just statistics and chance. The funny thing about randomization, is by definition, some people will always "BEAT THE ODDS!" Thats what makes it exciting. Can a resident draw an Early Rifle Bull in unit 9 for 2, 3, or 4 years in a row? Can you win the lottery twice? Can you be hit by lightening 5 times. Yes, yes, yes. Is it likely? No, but is it possible and does it happen? We all know the tag gods smile on some more than others;)

• Like 6

It is funny to speculate the un-randomness of these totally random drawings. I predict this thread will go for weeks....maybe even years :)

• Like 2

My wife has been drawn for rifle bull 7 times since the year 2000. One of these was a trophy rut hunt. If you are a woman your name goes on top.

I hope you have her playing the lottery!

• Like 1

My son has drawn 2 out of 3 times for a whitetail hunt.

and hes only been putting in for 3 yrs.

and I know for a fact hes going to get a cow elk tag this year..lol

me on the other hand...im a bp collecter.

I think most know this, but none of those are true. They put everyone in a software, then it uses random number generators to assign you numbers for your bonus points. If you are the first or last person in the draw before it begins, or on the list, or entered into their draw system etc, you are just as likely to draw a low number( per bonus point) than anyone else. The programs don't know how to make exceptions, its whole purpose is to be exactly random and recognizes no attributes or history or favorites. Its all zeros and ones to the computer.

The only thing that causes you to be more likely to be drawn, statistically speaking, over your neighbor, is having more points, and therefore more chances at drawing the lower numbers when they are generated.

Its all just statistics and chance. The funny thing about randomization, is by definition, some people will always "BEAT THE ODDS!" Thats what makes it exciting. Can a resident draw an Early Rifle Bull in unit 9 for 2, 3, or 4 years in a row? Can you win the lottery twice? Can you be hit by lightening 5 times. Yes, yes, yes. Is it likely? No, but is it possible and does it happen? We all know the tag gods smile on some more than others;)

My only question is how can a totally logical machine like a computer generate a random number?

My only question is how can a totally logical machine like a computer generate a random number?

On the surface, your question seems to raise a good point. In reality though, random number generation (RNG) is a very common computational function. Any standard language (JAVA, C++, etc... Even Excel.) come with RNG functions. RNG's are used in many ways within computer programming such as statistical sampling, cryptography, simulations, random design applications, etc...

Assigning random numbers to a list of specific objects is extraordinarly simple for even the most basic RNG.

S.

:)

• Like 1

So Ive heard a few different theories...

1. Apply last minute and your application is put on top and drawn.

2. Your odds of drawing with a paper application are higher than online.

3. Game and fish awards tags at a higher rate to new youth who complete hunter safety.

What are your thoughts? I'm not saying any of these are true... I don't know

I fall under 1,2, and 3. Hadn't heard the third but I got bighorn, antelope, Kaibab, and archery bull when I was a kid so I'm in that crew