Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

An AZ look-see

I had a few pics from this past season that I never shared with any of ya'll, so I thought it to be quite fitting right now, seeings how there's nothing going as far as any seasons go right now, to share with you guys a little photo topic of the three main AZ upland species..

First off is the most common.. the Gambels..

go where the thorns are thick, and you'll find the coveys in amongst the catus, catclaw, and cholla.. you gotta be quick though, they're runners and they'll leave you and your dogs scratchin' yer heads wandering where they went!!

DSC01615.jpg

the hills where these birds roam have a little character to them...

DSC01679.jpg

but the payoff is well worth the effort in my book..

DSC01491_edited.jpg

next off we have the Scalies.. or if your a Texan like me, those #@%!^ Blues!!!

if you can find a place that looks like a sea of golden grass with islands of yuccas sticking up, you might want to go ahead and pull over and let the dogs have a run.. they'll be there..

DSC01600.jpg

if you can get the boogers to break from the covey, they'll behave for your bird dogs just fine..

DSC00946.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

and when paydirt is finally made, you'll see why it was well worth the miles, sunburn and aching feet..

DSC01631.jpg

handsome devils, aren't they??

DSC01625_edited.jpg

and finally, if anyone on CW knows me, you'll know this bird is by far and away my fav bird to hunt here.. Mr. Gentleman himself, Mearns..

point that truck south towards the hills and soon you'll find yourself in heaven on earth.. golden grass, evergreen oaks, and a bird that captures the essence of bird hunting with good dogs..

DSC01366.jpg

oh, they'll hold for ya if you're quiet...

DSC01393_edited.jpg

sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll even catch them out in the open..

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01649_edited.jpg

Mearns hunting brings smiles to everyone from the saltiest of Mearns hunters....

DSC01579.jpg

....to the newest of rookies..

DSC01641.jpg

and with the look of pure royalty, how could you not feel privledged just to have a chance at him..

He'll capture you and your dog's heart.. I promise.

DSC01637_edited.jpg

well, I hope all of you had a wonderful past season and let's hope this upcoming one brings just as much fun and joy..

DSC01478.jpg

Great post Scotty. Makes me wish I had spent more time doing some quail hunting. Nothing better than getting those mearns in thick cover or getting those scalies in the middle of a "sea of golden grass". Love the closeups of each species

your captions of the pics were great.....and of course the pics.......

SB nice avatar....thats some good stuff

dang Scotty, those are some good pics! sure makes me wish Virgil and Penny were runnin out ahead out us! those are awesome pics and cant wait until this season! i wanna get the triple! we got the double last year, but never made the triple!

guys, when scott says he lokes ot mearns hunt, that is a understatemen! he told me on the phine the other day he moved out here because of the mearns! he gets all excited when we go out, and his dogs share the same passion!

Man that is some good lookin' dog work and a very nice Slam to boot!! Thanks for sharin'..... makes me miss the bird huntin' I used to do. Awesome pics, too! Thanks.

CnS

Awesome pic's Scotty.......love the close ups...really show off the beauty of em'!

Thanks for shareing ScottyBoy. I love quail hunting for all the different places it will takes you. I recognize your first picture in the scalie section haven't been in that area for a couple of years though. Scalie hunting is right up there with mearns for me. One reason is the more open country you find them and another is when you get them brocken up they hold so tight and my dog shines under those conditions.

You also take some impresive pics.

by the way guys, my first Scalies, Mearns, and Blue Grouse were all taken over Scott's dog(s) with him... we have a blast bird hunting together!

thanks for the great comments guys.. I appreciate it a ton..

I was just thumbing thru some pics from this past season and saw a few that I hadn't shared.. I thought now would be a good time to see a few pics.. not much going on this time of year..

As far as for me taking nice pics, its just the law of averages.. If you take enough, one or two are BOUND to come out OK, right?? :lol: :lol:

Just ask anyone who hunts with me.. I take a MILLION pics!! My friends who hunt and hike with me don't call me "Wang, the Japanese tourist" for nothin'!!

thanks for lookin!!

Superb photos and I second what Younghunter says, It's time to learn how/when to hunt these birds and spend more time in the field....

Thank you for sharing the beauty and contrast of southern AZ!

AzP&Y

Great pics and descriptions! Love those closeups on the quail and the dog pics. And those "heaven on earth" oak woodlands are great not only for Mearns but also our beloved Coues deer! I love oak/grass habitat!

Amanda

Nice pics, Scott. Glad you have the artistic eye rather than just a point-and-shoot perspective. Any word on when we'll pics from MT?

RR

I can't wait for the day to get my Brittany out for the first time on those beautiful birds. It looks like you have your dogs trained pretty well, and honoring each other. David