Sign in to follow this  
jgraffaz

Elk in Unit 22 South

Theres definetely elk in the mazatzal, but have an evacuation plan ready for when you do drop one. Packing one out alone could kill a guy or at least make you wish you were dead. Thats steep country! Have a good buddy with stout legs on speed dial, or even better, have mulepacker on speed dial and a case of his favorite beer on ice when he gets there.

I did that pack out three years ago with my son and it was brutal. Almost could not walk for three days.

• Like 1

hunted in 22 south 2 yrs ago some decent bulls seen east and south around Jim Jones shooting range and south of payson golf course west of rodeo grounds lotta country good luck to ya !!!

2010 my son killed a 371 bull took 4 of us 2 full days to pack it out the next year 2 buddys drew the tag i took them in to a nasty big canyon were i always find good bulls killed 2 bulls with in 15 minutes apart and one of them broke there ankle on the pack out definitely a challenge be in shape and able to shoot 700 to 1000 yards have buddys ready to help once you get one down or you will be asking your self wtf did i just do ,getting tuffer to find the biger bulls to many tags .

• Like 1

2010 my son killed a 371 bull took 4 of us 2 full days to pack it out the next year 2 buddys drew the tag i took them in to a nasty big canyon were i always find good bulls killed 2 bulls with in 15 minutes apart and one of them broke there ankle on the pack out definitely a challenge be in shape and able to shoot 700 to 1000 yards have buddys ready to help once you get one down or you will be asking your self wtf did i just do ,getting tuffer to find the biger bulls to many tags .

Too many tags is an understatement!!!!!!!

• Like 1

All true. Its one thing to pull the trigger. Getting it out is another. wow.

Its a late ARCHERY hunt....I can take care of the pack out between me my buddy and my pack goats! its worth it!

Its a late ARCHERY hunt....I can take care of the pack out between me my buddy and my pack goats! its worth it!

Good deal! Cant wait to see the grip & grin pics!

If you hunt under the Mazatzals you will see some of the coolest country in Arizona. There's stuff out there few people will ever see. Just be prepared to pull some cholla needles out.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2015 at 2:56 PM, 257 STW said:

Were you the one in Hells gate wilderness?

22s has gone down hill in the last couple years.  So sad. 

• Like 1

After they ruined 22n, now the south..

On 4/3/2024 at 3:27 PM, JEboilermakers said:

I drew the 2024 Muzzleloader 22S early hunt very excited to get my crew out there and have a great hunt. I’m familiar with the area but looking for some good advice. Thanks 

buy your crew some new boots and tell them to wear them out!

• Like 2