spooby

Falconry and rabbit fields

Besides scouting for big game hunts coming up ill also be scouting to find some new areas close to town on the westside that I can fly my Harris hawk after jacks and cotton tails.She's done for the season now and started molting her feathers. Will be at it again next fall.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

post-13344-0-13933200-1428877424_thumb.jpg

post-13344-0-17892900-1428877509_thumb.jpg

post-13344-0-29756100-1428877607_thumb.jpg

post-13344-0-42293400-1428877675_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I used to go out with a game and fish officer that had a Harris. It was a blast. He eventually got two of them and they would work together. One would fly high and wait for the other to push rabbits. David

I got a couple friends that fly Harris hawks. My friend that I hawk with all the time sent his over to his uncles but got out and wouldn't come back as she was fat for the molt. Most I've flown with is 5 harris together. It's pretty cool to watch but can get a little out of hand when they get a rabbit down.

That's pretty bad ars. How do you even get in to that sport? Where do you get a hawk from?

• Like 1

a long process. Gotta do alot of reading on falconry and biology of raptors.

Then you have to pass the exam with 80% or better, then find a General or master falconer that will sponsor you for 2 years.

Then get all your equipment and build you mew and get it inspected and approved by game and fish.

Then get a permit to trap your bird. You can also buy one but almost every sponsor will make you trap and train one.

That's when the real fun begins.

• Like 4

That is way cool. After you get your hawk, how long does it take to train them before you let them "free Fly" I'm sure that is not the right terminology but you get the idea.

Thanks,

REDDOG

I had her free flying on day 11. Usually takes 3 to 4 weeks but I spent every avail minute I had working with her since I trapped her. And I varies from bird to bird and species.

First hunt of the season is in the books. Only took 1 jack but was and awesome hunt! Gonna get as much hawking in as I can till January then back to chasing deer and javalina.

post-13344-0-53006700-1447898325_thumb.png

post-13344-0-48877900-1447898347_thumb.png

post-13344-0-23999000-1447898370_thumb.png

• Like 6

What happens when they down some prey? How much do you let them eat, or do they get saved for a food source for another day? I've always thought falconry was an awesome sport!

I've give her a little bit to eat if I want to keep hunting or let her fill up and head home. Falconry is based off weight management of your bird.