spooby

Falconry and rabbit fields

How long will a healthy one live? Do you need to take it to the Vet often for check ups? Are there common diseases for captive birds?

Thanks for sharing, real cool stuff.

awesome. I think we all wanted a falcon growing up. Who wouldn't?! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

How long will a healthy one live? Do you need to take it to the Vet often for check ups? Are there common diseases for captive birds?

Thanks for sharing, real cool stuff.

You have to know the diseases that are common in raptors. Part of the test you have to pass to get a falconry license.

Wild birds live up to 5 years if they make it past the first year. Captive birds live up to 15 years

• Like 3

As a kid growing up off of bell road in the sixties we used to trap sparrow hawks and try training them for sparrow hunting.

It was quite the challenge to get one to hunt properly, males were the slugs, Females were fierce little hunters.

This brings back a lot of memories GOOD POST!!!!!

• Like 1

Well if anyone know of any areas that has decent rabbit population around west valley or north valley and wants to go out this weekend let me know. Need some new scenery!

• Like 3

As a kid growing up off of bell road in the sixties we used to trap sparrow hawks and try training them for sparrow hunting.

I too had a Sparrow Hawk as a kid. Lived around 8 years and was very, very tame.

Definitely a great sport and art.

• Like 1

Wish I knew a good place, I'd love to see a well trained bird work. When I was a kid I had a Coopers hawk then a redtail. Had no business having either as I was not mentored and did not know what I was doing. Keep posting, love to hear about your bird and your sport.