Sign in to follow this  
pstrman

7 mag for Elk

First elk hunt with rifle. I have Win mag 150gr soft point rounds. Ok? or recommend a different round.

Have taken a few bulls with my 7mm mag. 150 gr. ballistic tip boatails. Worked for me. Bullet placement helps with any round you shoot.

Not near enough gun. Only a .338 Lapua with 300 grain bullets is capable of taking elk outside of bow range. Just kidding, a 7mm Mag and 150s is more than plenty to tackle elk. Good luck on the hunt.

• Like 6

I've taken quite a few elk shooting 150 grn corelokt out of my 7 mag. My gun seems to like them well. If you're getting out there in distance, 500+ yds you may start thinking about developing a round with more precise ammo rather than mess with factory loads with the tolerances that they have.... I think a lot of guys on here develop loads.

• Like 1

I should say that I've heard that the average shot will be 300 plus yards in Unit 8. I'm very comfortable with this gun to 300 yards. I haven't spent to much time over that.

Practice time..

Bryan

The only elk I have shot was in unit 8 and it was a 40 yard shot. The parts of unit 8 I hunted you would be hard pressed to take a shot past 300.

• Like 1

Last year on the 23 late I had to shoot across a canyon in some nasty country and used a 7mm with 170 gr factory ammo 630 yards but I had a good rest and all day to wait for him to stand up I also practiced out to 600 I made a 1 shot kill in the pump station