ctracingraptor

I want to reload, I need advice....

I've decided i want to start reloading, mainly for some handgun ammo, my 7mm for more accuracy and 5.56mm and .308 to save some cash. i don't even know where to start. I've read reviews saying that you don't want a progressive stage if you are more interested in accuracy. So I guess i'm asking what are the pros and cons of the single stage vs the progressive. Now me personally am the kinda of person that only likes to buy something once, and not so much of the "this one is good enough for now" theory. I really don't like buying things twice. I'm not looking for the most expensive set-up in the world, but if the most expensive set-up happens to be the best in the market, then i will give a strong look. I've read a lot of good reviews about the RCBS Rock Chucker, but i don't personally know anyone that reloads so i'm asking for you help and opinions. So i who make the best product on the market and who makes the best product for money? thanks in advance.

First let me say the "saving money" portion of your thoughts.....throw it out the window. It will take several thousands of reloads in .308 and .223 to make up for the initial cost of getting into reloading.

The RCBS Rockchucker is really hard to beat for a single stage press. Get the Rockchucker Supreme kit and you are 75% of the way home already. Add a trimmer, trickler (not really needed but nice), and a few other minor items.

The Redding Big Boss kit gets you about 95% of the way to starting loading. Just add dies and shell holders.

With the calibers you mentioned, you will be reloading for accuracy and performance gains more than money saving. You can buy a lot of ammo for the costs of getting started. Unless you shoot a LOT, you won't see any money savings. I still can't save much money over the cheap $6 box of .223 after loading probably 10,000 rounds, but the accuracy gains are what drives me. You can't get consistent hits at 800+ yards with the cheapest stuff you buy on the shelf.

Gun shows are a good place to get some great quality reloading components for less than retail price. Also, keep your eyes peeled here. Lots of good stuff goes up regularly. I think there was a Forster trimmer on sale last week. If it is still there, you should snatch it up quick. I love mine, and I process thousands of cases a year with it, and it has not needed any love in over 8 years.

• Like 4

First read and watch all the videos you can find.

LongRangeHunting.com, 6mmBR, snipers hide, sinclair, midway check the articles and their gear and then videos on use and reviews. I would also highly recommend Shawn Carlocks DVD on Long Range Reloading, worth every dime and it is a no nonsense approach where he will tell you what steps need to be done and which ones he feels are not worth the extra effort. He teaches long range shooting and does it every week well past 1,000 yds.

You will find some really good deals if you go to the classifieds also for many of those sites.

Press: I have 2 progressive presses a Dillon 550 & a Redding T-7.

You can turn out extremely accurate loads on a progressive you just won't be cranking along unless you are doing 5.56 in which case you will be grateful you have a progressive. However the Rock Chucker is everything you will need for accuracy and a great starting point. The progressive allows me to have all 3 redding competition dies set up at the same time. I have the 7mm RM and 6.5 die which stay put unless I get a bug about another rifle I want to load for but those are the go to so I haven't changes them out in over a year.

Calipers, buy a good set don't go cheap plan on $50 or more and you should never need another pair.

Brass Prep:

Case trimmer, Flash hole debur tool, primer pocket tool,

Brass cleaning - vibratory or tumbler ( I use a Harbor Freight tumbler and stainless media, the best way to clean brass IMHO)

Scale: Balnce beams work great but the RCBS Chargemaster will eventually be worth every penny

Other stuff: reloading tray for your brass, case gauges, seating gauges, shell plates, powder funnels

Reloading dies: buy good bushing dies for accurate reloads.

Hornaday has a really good kit with OLA gauges, buller comparators, trimmer, brass prep tools, etc.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Precision Reloaders Accessory Kit

For long range shooting and hunting loads I pour each charge by hand into each case. For pistol and high volume rounds a powder funnel is the way to go.

I am sure I forgot some things others will add. If you get going and have questions shoot me a PM, always happy to give advice. Good luck!

• Like 1

Get the rockchucker kit. Learn to reload on that first. If you shot a ton of pistol and Ar stuff you may want to add a progressive press later. You can load accurate quality ammo on both but its usually easier to do on a single stage.

Go with a single stage press for rifle rounds, but a Dillon press is a must for pistol rounds.

Thanks for the input! So can a progressive crank out the same accuracy as a single stage? I want to crank out alot of 5.56, and figure out a solid accurate performer eventually . For my 7mm I want to increase performance and accuracy. Handgun ammo i dont want anything special just enjoy shooting it.

Yes, you can make extremely accurate loads with a progressive press but you will use it just like a singe stage. The issue is you need very stiff press not a cheap one mostly aimed at doing pistol rounds. If you look at the some of the Gunwerks episodes you will see progressive presses in their shop. If you have a detailed, repeatable, accurate process that you get nailed down you will be able to assemble very accurate rounds. You will follow the principle of measure, measure again, and measure once more then you will be attempting to build exactly the same rounds each and every time. That is it there is no magic press that has this built into it usually you are paying for something with greater and greater tolerances which equals greater and greater costs.

• Like 1

You are correct about NOT being able to save money reloading Lance. When Osama Bin Lyin' started this gun control crap along with a bunch of other tree huggers the price of powder, primers, cases, bullets, etc.. went thru the roof. That's why you can't find a box of 22LR for sale anywhere. Reloading tho has brought all my rifles into better groups after working up my own reloads for each gun.

First let me say the "saving money" portion of your thoughts.....throw it out the window. It will take several thousands of reloads in .308 and .223 to make up for the initial cost of getting into reloading.

The RCBS Rockchucker is really hard to beat for a single stage press. Get the Rockchucker Supreme kit and you are 75% of the way home already. Add a trimmer, trickler (not really needed but nice), and a few other minor items.

The Redding Big Boss kit gets you about 95% of the way to starting loading. Just add dies and shell holders.

With the calibers you mentioned, you will be reloading for accuracy and performance gains more than money saving. You can buy a lot of ammo for the costs of getting started. Unless you shoot a LOT, you won't see any money savings. I still can't save much money over the cheap $6 box of .223 after loading probably 10,000 rounds, but the accuracy gains are what drives me. You can't get consistent hits at 800+ yards with the cheapest stuff you buy on the shelf.

Gun shows are a good place to get some great quality reloading components for less than retail price. Also, keep your eyes peeled here. Lots of good stuff goes up regularly. I think there was a Forster trimmer on sale last week. If it is still there, you should snatch it up quick. I love mine, and I process thousands of cases a year with it, and it has not needed any love in over 8 years.

agree with Lance 100% is the results that you get not so much the savings.

I just purchased 1000 rounds of 5.56 ammo, to my door was almost $400. Like I said, i know nothing about the cost of reloading. But if you exclude the price of the press and dies and all the others stuff, we'll call that an investment lol. I mean just including brass, powder and bullets and such, there is no real saving?

Check out the Dillon showroom in Scottsdale. They have demo models in the showroom and will show you how to use them. I use a 550B for pistol and a rockchucker for my rifle rounds.

• Like 2

Yes components can be much cheaper... but most of us end up seeing the opportunity to build better rounds so we buy premium components and become obsessed with improvements. Compare your 5.56 to match grade stuff and yes you can save money.

Example 500 rounds of 5.56 black hills is over $500

7mm RM HSM (using berger VLD's) is $50 a box

Neither includes Haz shipping charges, so figure 3 boxes of 7mm and the $500 5.56 and shipping and call it ~$700. I am pretty sure after the first year you can pay for your reloading supplies and be in good shape if you compare apples to apples.

But pretty much everyone gets hooked on the crack and keeps buying better gear, new calibers, different mfg brass, a new press, and on and on...

• Like 1

Yes components can be much cheaper... but most of us end up seeing the opportunity to build better rounds so we buy premium components and become obsessed with improvements. Compare your 5.56 to match grade stuff and yes you can save money.

Example 500 rounds of 5.56 black hills is over $500

7mm RM HSM (using berger VLD's) is $50 a box

Neither includes Haz shipping charges, so figure 3 boxes of 7mm and the $500 5.56 and shipping and call it ~$700. I am pretty sure after the first year you can pay for your reloading supplies and be in good shape if you compare apples to apples.

But pretty much everyone gets hooked on the crack and keeps buying better gear, new calibers, different mfg brass, a new press, and on and on...

Are you getting charged Hazmat for ammo? I have bought bulk a few times in the last couple of years and never was charged Hazmat from the three different places I purchased from.

Get a rockchucker and learn to reload. Once you do that then get a progressive for the pistol calibers and 223. I only reload for a couple pistol calibers because I still find it isn't worth my time to load things like 9mm on a single stage rock chucker. I load .38 super, .45LC, 44 Mag for pistols and a lot of rifle calibers on my rock chucker and do save money. You won't "save" money right off the bat because of the investment in machines and materials but if you shoot some odd ball calibers you can save money quick on those. I shoot .257 Weatherby and the cheapest ammo for that is $37/box, and the good stuff is $80/box. Depending on the bullet I use I can load 257 for $0.50 a round for target practice loads. I can shoot Berger VLD's in my Weatherby for $1.00 each basically vs. $4.00 each if you paid for them loaded. $3.00 a shot adds up to savings quickly. Obviously those prices don't account for "labor" but in my case it still would be much cheaper to reload.

If you don't shoot the fringe cartridges you won't save quite as much as quick but what you will gain is knowledge and confidence in yourself and your loading ability. I am not a master reloader by any means but I taught myself to reload when I was 12 by reading reloading manuals in my dad's workshop. I have learned a lot more along the way through reading on places like this and trial and error. He got the equipment 2nd hand from a buddy and I learned how to load it for him. He invested the dollars on the equipment and invested the time to learn. I find reloading to be a relaxing event that I can use to get my mind off things like work and such.

You won't save as much money as you could in the past as someone else mentioned, because the costs of primers and powder have gone up a lot. The availability of the items has gone way down too so you have to spend more time trying to find what you need to reload. That is the downside. The upside is it is much easier to swallow a $30/lb powder bill, $40/bx bullet bill, $4/bx primer bill that will load you 100+ rifle rounds then to go buy 100+ rifle rounds, especially if they are good rounds. You will learn to have the extra $50 in your wallet though for when you see that box of bullets or pound of powder that you have been looking for. You see it, you buy it. If you don't you will probably regret it later.