SwampMafia

Do rage broadheads suck?

I have had great success with rage broadheads and have always left me a great blood trail. I use a very small piece of wax to help hold the blades in when stalking through grass/brush. I will never use a small broadhead on elk as I think they end of bleeding internal and leave no blood trail which leads to a dead lost elk majority of the time. I tried the ulmer edge on a javelina recently and thought the hole was going to be smaller then the rage or gravedigger but not that small. I gave the other two away even though they did fly good.

Not bad just high maintenance. I have taken several big game animals with them including this operator error elk. Shot in the high hip look at the blood on his right side, it was easy to follow. Three blade rage

post-4480-0-07557400-1430364759_thumb.jpg

Id stick with fixed blade for elk. Shot a nice bull last year with a rage and had no clue what happened. Saw the fletching hit right behind the shoulder at 60 yards. Never found blood or the arrow. Might have just been horrible luck that it opened in mid air but I will never know. If it were a fixed blade I know for a fact that bull would be hanging on my wall :(

????

If you saw the fletching hit behind the shoulder then the broadheads "opening in mid air" wasn't your problem. I don't see how an open mechanical is any different then s fixed head as long as you hit them in the right spot.

I think all mechanicals suck having used a few. Now that i have tried a bunch (fixed and mechanicals) i dont understand why mechanicals were ever even made. So many different solutions to a problem that never existed. Shoot a good fixed broadhead and you will get true flight, perfect penetration, and good blood trail, with no chance of error.

The "big hole" argument can only get you so far. There is a point where you hit diminishing returns. You have to start to lose penetration and pass through potential at some point when cutting surface becomes too great, both before and after initial impact.

• Like 1

Anyone here gonna put it out there that there is a chance the person shooting caused the animal to not die? Everyone is quick to blame the broadhead but I've seen animals get shot with large caliber rifles that still get away or didn't bleed much. Was it the bullets fault? Or was it where the shooter put the bullet? I've used rage hypodermics the last three years and every animal shot dies within sight with blood everywhere. The shock collars on them work as designed as long as you put them on correctly and don't push on the tip of the broadhead to make it break and open up.

• Like 1

For every "Yes the suck", you'll get a "No they rock". I've played around with mechanicals over the years, but always go back to fixed blade. In my experience, if your bow is tuned properly fixed blades will fly with your field points. And a fixed blade is usually stronger than a deployed blade - for obvious reasons.

The best heads I've used are Magnus Stingers and Buzz Cuts, Muzzy 3-blade and G5 strikers. Magnus will guarantee their heads for life, meaning if you shoot one into a rock, they'll replace it. I've never taken them up on that because - well, if I ruin a head by shooting it into a rock, that's on me - but who else in the business will stand behind their product like that?