Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

2A/2B/2C Archery Deer

Looks like I will be working out of Gallup NM for the early archery season. I occasionally get afternoons off or a day here or there depending on our schedule so I would like to take all my hunting gear and cross over the border for some archery hunting if time allows. If I get lucky I'll also need to make my way to a processor in Show Low or Springerville.

How is the mule deer population in 2B around St. Johns? From a quick Google map look it looks pretty desolate. I might venture all the way to Show Low, but that is getting to be a far drive.

Any advice on Hunting 2B and maybe into 2A/2C? Is it even worth considering?

If the moon was a choice, i would probably take my chances hunting deer there instead

There aren't even deer in those units

So I guess the 2A/2B/2C any antlered tag is a sucker tag except for the locals who know where some may be hiding.

I wouldn't be so sure. You could also stay on 40 and keep coming a bit West to hunt 4b in the cedars.

Double check that there aren't any leftover archery tags from the NM draw in 10, 12, 13. There aren't many deer in there either but if you find one he's gonna be big.

there are mulies around Zion reservoir just N of St. Johns. there are a lot of remote stock tanks that they hit and you can glass a long ways. Id be up for it

Double check that there aren't any leftover archery tags from the NM draw in 10, 12, 13. There aren't many deer in there either but if you find one he's gonna be big.

That is a great idea. I called and the NM Left Over list comes out June 24. There are some toads in and around McGaffey

average joe is right there are some giants in 2a 2b and 2c.Not a lot off deer but some good ones.Lots of locked gaits in some areas.

It's kinda like the strip. Not a lot of deer but if youre not afraid to work there is a chance of high reward!! Just saying....

Ha yeah there is NO deer in that area. Honestly its a hard place to hunt, sometimes you will go days without seeing deer, like 208muley stated there are some toads in there. We call it the little strip, so if you do your work you might see some of the deer people only dream about.