Thouht this might be a good time to bring this one back up.

This is my busy season so I may not get right back to ya

but lets not wait to the last minute to get your RV ready for the hunt.

Good Luck to all,

Mike

Mike,

What do you recommend to keep a battery charged while in the field? Do the solar panels work? I have a pop up with one battery, after running the lights and heater for two days, the battery is dead (its a new battery). I am torn between changing to two 6v or adding a solor panel (which seems much easier).

I have a generator, but its noisy and I would prefer not to run it to charge the battery.

Thanks in advance...if you ever need laboratory testing info.... I'm your man.

Thanks Andy

Mike,

What do you recommend to keep a battery charged while in the field? Do the solar panels work? I have a pop up with one battery, after running the lights and heater for two days, the battery is dead (its a new battery). I am torn between changing to two 6v or adding a solor panel (which seems much easier).

I have a generator, but its noisy and I would prefer not to run it to charge the battery.

Thanks in advance...if you ever need laboratory testing info.... I'm your man.

Thanks Andy

Andy,

I'm gunna jump in and give you my $.02 worth before Mike answers..... ;)

If you really want to be without power problems do both..... I had a 26' Prowler that had two 12v batteries and on cold nights the batteries would run down so that you had to manually start the Generator in the morning... <_< I pulled the (2) 12v batteries and replaced them with (2) 6v bateries and my problem was solved..... ;) It is amazing how running (2) 6v can be better than (2) 12v.... but it was for me. I always had the solar panels on that trailer and other than the Micro or the AC, we NEVER used the generator once I put the 6v batteries on. Good luck! ;)

CnS

What Gino said :)

Also,the furnace you have is your worse enemy.

They use a battery up faster than anything else.

They are noisey, wake you up every time they come on.

First they blow cold air then they warm things up and then blow cold are again.

A catalytic heater is the only way to go.

They do not use any electricity and provide a constant, adjustable heat.

Here is a link below.

Mike

http://www.uscatalytic.com/uscatalytic/Heaters.cfm

You can get 6V batteries at Costco for around 60-70 bucks each. They are called golf cart battereis but that is what most rv'ers are using. Sportsmans Warehouse also sells them but they are the high dollar Trojan brand. I think they are called T-105 and are about 135 bucks each. Lots of people say the Trojans are the best but there are alot of people now saying that the Costco bastteries are almost as good considering the cost. Supposedly the compamy that makes the batteries for Costco is a huge reputable battery manufacture. As a matter of fact I read that the Trojan website has a chart comparing thier 6V batteries to other leading manufactures and the maker of the Costco batteries came in second. Trojan came in first.

FYI

The 6V batteries are taller than the 12V marine batteries so if your are in a battery box the 6V may not fit.

Jeff

Oh and I think Sams Club may sell a 6V battery as well.

You can get 6V batteries at Costco for around 60-70 bucks each. They are called golf cart battereis but that is what most rv'ers are using. Sportsmans Warehouse also sells them but they are the high dollar Trojan brand. I think they are called T-105 and are about 135 bucks each. Lots of people say the Trojans are the best but there are alot of people now saying that the Costco bastteries are almost as good considering the cost. Supposedly the compamy that makes the batteries for Costco is a huge reputable battery manufacture. As a matter of fact I read that the Trojan website has a chart comparing thier 6V batteries to other leading manufactures and the maker of the Costco batteries came in second. Trojan came in first.

FYI

The 6V batteries are taller than the 12V marine batteries so if your are in a battery box the 6V may not fit.

Jeff

Oh and I think Sams Club may sell a 6V battery as well.

Very well said :)

Want to come to work for me? :P

Part Time,

No Bene's,

And you have to work during hunting season so I can have it off ;)

:lol: :P :lol:

Mike

Just pick a 6 volt up and you will know why.

They have more plates in them and therefore more storage capacity.

Yes you would hook the RV positive wire to positive post of one battery

and the negitive wire to the negitive post of the other one

then use a jumper wire from the two remaining post

giving you 12 volts to the RV.

Unlike 2-12 volts that you hook + to +

and - to -

Mike

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I learned about 6v batteries on this site last year and tried them out. They lasted about 3 times as long as the best 12v "marine" battery I have used. Make sure you have a quality battery charging system and you will be amazed.

Lee

So......am I correct in ASSuming that a regular 12V charger will charge the 2 6V batteries??

:ph34r:

So......am I correct in ASSuming that a regular 12V charger will charge the 2 6V batteries??

:ph34r:

Yes, Hook the charger up the same as the wires from the RV are hooked up.

Mike

Here is the proper way to hook up 6 Volts

You would hook a battery charger up the same as the red and black wires

(note): on most RVs the positive wire is black

and the negitive wire is white

post-1778-1189605821_thumb.jpg