Sign in to follow this  
JLW

coconino mvum

was up in 5B this weekend and there were dozens of toyhaulers and trailers camped on closed roads.....not to mention the dozens of quads/sidexsides zooming around on closed roads.

I would expect at the least FS leo would be out educating the public on their new rules.

saw 1 G&F truck and that was it.

is this what it will be like in hunting season? or will they try to enforce their bs on hunters and not recreational campers?

this is probably old hat to a lot of people that hunt coconino but whats the use if only some follow and the rest don't?

James

• Like 2

Yes, that is what you can expect. I personally have not seen any enforcement being done during hunting season. Nothing more fustrating than following the rules and walking miles into an area just to have a bunch of people driving in on closed roads or even cross country. Not sure how the wood cutters are also able to create their own roads to get their wood but hunters aren't able to retrieve their down game, especially elk.

• Like 4

I was a few units over and I saw the same thing, maybe worse. Nobody gives a crap or knows the rules and they have no manpower to enforce them. Great point on the woodcutting above.

was up in 5B this weekend and there were dozens of toyhaulers and trailers camped on closed roads.....not to mention the dozens of quads/sidexsides zooming around on closed roads.

I would expect at the least FS leo would be out educating the public on their new rules.

saw 1 G&F truck and that was it.

is this what it will be like in hunting season? or will they try to enforce their bs on hunters and not recreational campers?

this is probably old hat to a lot of people that hunt coconino but whats the use if only some follow and the rest don't?

James

I hunt and camp in 5b too, closer toKinicknick lake and rarely will I see any FS leo or any G&F vehicles I think I have seen them maybe 1 time in the 20 or so times I been there hunting / camping..

Pretty bad feeling when it seems like you are the only one following the rules. I just know that if I ever decide to take a closed road someone with a badge will be right there as soon as all four tires hit the closed portion.

Good on you for knowing the rules and following them.

They will be out enforcing rules during hunting season, make no mistake. They will also be enforcing the 36 hour (or whatever it is now) unattended camping rule.

More than once I've been followed or pulled over for a "reminder". I have abided these rules since their inception even though I think they are ridiculous. I firmly believe the rules are simply a tool used by USFS to make it more difficult on hunters. The fact that if you have a wood cutting permit you can pretty much drive willy-nilly through the woods but if you have an elk permit you cant, is proof of that.

edit: AZG&F does not and will not enforce the travel management or camping rules.

Saw lots of this in 5BS last year. I hunted from camp on foot and had guys come drivng by me 2 miles from the closest open road. Why obey the rules when nobody else does? Guess I do because that's how I am.

I did have a buddy tell me that they got checked in 5A by a ranger with a rangefinder and an attitude. He gave them a lot of grief and cited them because they were more than 30 feet from the road.

was in 8 a few years back. Seen two massive rv's set up right behind the road closed sign.

Also in 8, we went down one road that connected two to together. On one end there wasn't any signage to indicate road closed, just the normal FR#. Got to the other end and seen that they had changed the road to a closed marker sign. Can you play ignorant?

I agree, makes doing the right thing more frustrating when others still do what they want

I will go back to what I said in another post. I truly believe that the G&F as well as the FS are undermanned. If they do see someone doing this they should right them a ticket with a heavy fine and make them move or leave the area.

You start getting into their pockets they tend to listen a little more.

As far as pleading ignorant, I too have gone down a road with NO signs other then the FS#. Got to other end and it said road closed. I believe that is the FS fault not mine. Some butthead may have moved it, placed one there, or taken it down. Who knows. Was I ignorant to the road being closed? Yes. Am I ignorant? No. Unless you ask my wife.

• Like 3

was in 8 a few years back. Seen two massive rv's set up right behind the road closed sign.

Also in 8, we went down one road that connected two to together. On one end there wasn't any signage to indicate road closed, just the normal FR#. Got to the other end and seen that they had changed the road to a closed marker sign. Can you play ignorant?

I agree, makes doing the right thing more frustrating when others still do what they want

You can but since the NFS came out with the maps it puts the onus back on our shoulders to know which roads are closed. Big PIA I admit but there it is. It does kinda stink when I see others on those roads.

• Like 1

Mr entitled sounding off.

I think someone yanked the post this comment was directed at...just saying!

Mr entitled sounding off.

I think someone yanked the post this comment was directed at...just saying!

I ain't mad at ya rageinthesage... LOL!

James

• Like 1

I carry the MVUM map on my iphone and I follow the rules even if I don't like them. I would rather be in the right than the wrong and get a ticket.

I was in the south end of 6A this past weekend and it's still amazing how parents let their kids ride two up on atv's especially with no helmets. It will never cease.

This was west of Lake Mary Road and north of Clint's Well. I never saw a Forest Service LEO.

• Like 1

I bet a big majority of recreational campers don't even know about the new MVUM....

James

• Like 3