Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Vortex Viper HS LR 4x16x?

This is a little long winded but i want to tell the back story. I have been wanting to get a new scope for my 257 weatherby. It is a stock Vanguard that I just put a timney trigger in. I have a Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 on it now and I like the scope alot. I have shot out to 500 yards at the range with it with good results. That 8" gong at 500 yds is pretty small though even on 9x.

My initial plan was to upgrade to the same scope in 4x12x40 because it has been a great scope. Then I learned today that a coworker can get me a sick deal on a Vortex of my choice. So in my looking at Vortex's website I think the Viper HS LR 4x16x44 or x50 are probably the best choices for me. The rifle is just for hunting and target shooting. My goal is to be comfortable taking a 500-600 yard shot on deer or elk. I don't want to shoot 1000 yards with this rifle, its just a hunting rifle. I have loads that will shoot sub-moa so I think 500-600 is totally possible.

Is there a better choice from Vortex then these for what I am after without getting super expensive?

Is the difference between the 44mm and 50mm worth the extra money?

Do you have either of these scopes and how do you like them?

Thanks

Harley

I dont have a vortex , but the last scope I purchased I went with 20 power. I had thought about 16 power, now I wish I would have bought a 24 power.

Get the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP EBR-1MRAD or the Zeiss Conquest 5-20x50 and you will not regret it!

Ernesto C

I had a couple of the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50. I took mine out to 1327 on a coyote, and 1371 on steel quite often.

They are really light weight, decent glass for the price point, good mechanics, and the warranty is second to none. I sold mine for $400 each when the time came to upgrade after a few years. They hold their value pretty well.

I think the 50mm is worth the extra $30, even if it gives you 5 minutes more of hunting light. Those might be the 5 minutes that seal the deal on a big buck or bull.

You can easily go to 1300+ with the .257 Weatherby on targets or varmints. The 16X will be enough to get you there just fine.

I'm relatively certain they are discontinuing the Viper HSLR if they have not already. I would call ASAP and find out. Keep in mind they had SFP and FFP versions of the scope with two different reticles (XLR for FFP and Dead Hold BDC for the SFP).

I have 4 Vortex scopes and one set of binos. Great products, great customer service.

Based off what you are saying I would stay in the 4-16x power range.

I put one on my 11 year old sons rifle. Great scope for the money.

post-13830-0-62852500-1444807243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I know that this thread is a little old, but I'm curious as to what you ended up going with Hoss50? I've been looking recently at the same scope, but I'm trying to decide between the 4-16x50 and the 6-24x50.

Using the diamond back HP. GREAT scope for the money. Got mine at cabelas bargain cave for $225. Regular price I believe they are close to $500. I couldn't pass it up. Its on par with the viper hs I had last season

I have not changed scopes yet. I couldn't bring myself to pull off the Redfield Revolution I have been shoot for awhile because it was dialed in and I had an elk hunt in December that I was going to use the rifle for. I will still probably change to the Vortex just to try it, but I REALLY like the Redfield I have and the reticle in it so I am torn.

Just an FYI, as trphyhntr said though the 257 is a laser. I shot my cow elk at what I thought was about 180 yards. It was actually about 260-280. I have the rifle sighted for +/- 225 yards and both shots hit her basically exactly where I aimed and hoped. The first shot hit her as well as you could possibly hope for behind the shoulder and she ran about 25 yards and looked back at me. I hit her again quartering away and hit her right behind the shoulder again and the bullet lodged in the opposite side front shoulder.

Now that the hunt is over though I am probably going to get the Vortex with my upcoming bonus check and give it a shot.

• Like 1

if someone was so inclined a 257 wby with 110 accubond zeroed at 350 is 2" high @ 100, 4" high at 200, and 14" low at 500. thats pretty dang flat. and with 1600lbs energy at 500. best caliber of all time.

• Like 1

I have the 6-24x50 HSLR FFP on my 257 and its a tack driver also same exact scope on my 300rum and 22-250post-3803-0-06531500-1450677119_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would highly recommend the Vortex Viper PST in 6-24x50 (FFP or SFP). The 50 gathers more light than the 44mm objective. You'll get a little brighter image and a little more shooting time at dusk/dawn. I also own a Vortex Viper HS. There is a NOTICEABLE difference in quality. However, the HS is a pretty dang nice scope for $400 or so. It shoots lights out on my 308. Unfortunately, you get limited with elevation adjustment. The Viper HS-T is the same glass as the PST, but the reticle is not etched like the PST. I called Vortex and asked them about it. Very informative conversation. Basically, the HS-T is the same exact quality, just different reticle construction and no illuminated reticle. Also, you don't need to get FFP if you don't need it. That being said, you can get in to a Viper HS-T SFP for a very reasonable price and well below what a PST FFP will cost. You will likely be more happy having the higher power for those days you want to reach out longer. Also, I am a huge fan of the open turrets now and their zero stop to get me back to zero.

I can't speak for the HR, but I can recommend the HS-T that AZ_Native is talking about. It is a VERY nice scope for the money. Very nice glass, tracks well and returns to zero perfectly.